The figure above is the percentage of Alexandria households
that have received the Census form and returned it.
Census 2010: "Yes, We Count!"
For the latest Census data from Census 2010 and the American Community Survey, please follow the link below to the City's Statistics and Demographics page:
Statistics and Demographics
The 2010 US Census will officially kick off on April 1, 2010, and the City of Alexandria is making preparations now to ensure that Alexandria's population is counted accurately. In March 2009, City Council established a Complete Count Committee (CCC) to help develop a strategy to ensure an accurate count and promote participation by all residents.
What is the Census?
- The Census is a count of everyone living in the United States every 10 years.
- The Census is mandated by the U.S. Constitution.
- Your participation in the Census is required by law.
- It takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
- Federal law protects the personal information you share during the Census. Confidentiality is assured and your responses are not used for any other purpose.
- Census data are used to distribute Congressional seats to states, to make decisions about what community services to provide, and to distribute $300 billion in federal funds to local, state and tribal governments each year.
Need Assistance Completing Your Census Form?
Census forms are reaching households across the City but some may need assistance completing them. The Alexandria community is prepared to help!
Need assistance completing your 2010 Census form? Visit a participating Questionnaire Assistance Center (QAC). QACs provide in-person information and language assistance.
Need another 2010 Census form or a form in another language? Visit a “Be Counted” site. “Be Counted” sites provide forms for those who did not receive a form or needs them in another language. Available languages are: English, Spanish, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese.
The following sites are a few of the City's QAC site or Be Counted sites. Please see the full list here.
- Alexandria Barrett Branch Library
- Charles Barrett Recreation Center
- Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- City of Alexandria Department of Human Services
- Mount Vernon Recreation Center
- Islamic Relief USA
- Tenants and Workers United
Complete Count Committee (CCC)
Materials from the Complete Count Committee (CCC)
Useful U.S. Census Bureau Links