Help the City of Alexandria achieve its environmental sustainability goals by completing the survey and becoming an Eco-City Champion today!!!
What is Eco-City Alexandria?
Eco-Cities are places where people can live healthier and economically productive lives while reducing their impact on the environment. They work to harmonize existing policies, regional realities, and economic and business markets with their natural resources and environmental assets. Eco-Cities strive to engage all citizens in collaborative and transparent decision making, while being mindful of social equity concerns.
Beginning in spring 2007, the City of Alexandria partnered with Virginia Tech’s Department of Urban Affairs and Planning (UAP) to design and facilitate a strategic, collaborative planning process, called Eco-City Alexandria, to create an Eco-City Charter (finalized in June 2008) and Environmental Action Plan (finalized in June 2009) to guide Alexandria toward sustainability.
Alexandria’s Environmental Policy Commission (EPC) is the project’s principal advisor along with representatives from the Alexandria City Council and City Staff. If you would like to learn more about Eco-City Alexandria please visit http:// www.alexandriava.gov/Eco-City. You may also sign up for Environmental Quality eNews to receive updates on volunteer opportunities and environmental events happening in the city.
Why Take the Eco-City Challenge?
The Eco-City Challenge is a survey containing questions and Green Tips to help you learn ways to:
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Reduce air, water, and solid waste pollution
- Reduce resource consumption
- Reduce water and energy costs
- Improve your indoor environment
- Improve your health and the health of the environment
- The “Get Started” page will ask for your name, email address, zip code, etc. so staff will be able to associate responses to a specific person and location in the city. All personal information gathered will be kept in confidence.
- At this time, you will not be able to retrieve your response by re-inputting your email address after leaving the challenge webpage. Our IT staff will make this option available to all participants in the near future.
- The survey questions are divided into six (6) sections: Energy Efficiency & Conservation, Transportation and Air Quality, Solid Waste, Water Resources & Conservation, Green Products & Services, and Civic Engagement. Below each question is a “link” or “Green Tip” which provides additional resources or information on the content of the question.
- The questions were designed for renters and owners. Renters will only see questions applicable to renters and vice versa for owners. The total points a renter can achieve is 37 and 47 for an owner.
- The participant has the option of selecting “yes”, “no”, or leave both blank if the question is not applicable.
- Upon completion of the survey, you will receive one of the designations listed below based on the number of "Yes, I am implementing this action" you selected:
- Eco-City Participant;
- Eco-City Partner;
- Eco-City Star; or
- Eco-City Champion—this is the highest achievement level