Amendments to Infill Regulations
City Council approved minor amendments to the Infill Regulations on February 20, 2010. Changes to the regulations are in the general areas of:
- Front setback
- Detached garage height
- Attached garage location
- Editorial changes
Click here to read the Staff Report, including amendments.
City Council Approves Comprehensive Infill Regulations
On Tuesday, June 24, the City Council approved the recommendations of the Infill Task Force, with a few minor amendments. The recommendations are comprehensive, and include amendments to the zoning ordinance for the following:
- Front setbacks
- Floor Area Ratio
- Tree Coverage
- Teardowns on Substandard Lots
The amendments are generally applicable to one- and two-family dwellings in the R-20, R-12, R-8, R-5, R-2-5, RA and RB zones, outside the historic districts. To view the new ordinance language on the above, please see the following link to the Council docket item:
The regulations are effective as of Wednesday, June 25, 2008. As such, all new applications submitted from that day forward will be subject to the new regulations. Any complete applications for building permit or grading plan submitted prior to that day will be processed under the prior rules.
In addition, the City Council directed staff to prepare a scope, timeline and budget proposal for a Citywide Pattern Book to bring back for their consideration in Fall 2008.
If you have any questions or comments, or have a specific project that you would like clarification on the applicability of the new regulations, please contact Peter Leiberg or Valerie Peterson at 703-838-4666. Planning Commission recommended approval of Infill Task Force recommendations at its June 4 hearing. The recommendations will go to City Council Hearing on June 14 at 9:30 am.
In April 2007, City Council approved a Resolution to establish an Infill Task Force, whose mission is to:
- Study the impact of large new housing construction and major residential additions in existing, established single-family neighborhoods.
- Analyze existing City regulations that pertain to limiting infill impacts and make recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council for any regulatory changes.
- Keep the public informed about the study, briefing the community at large on the progress of the infill study, and briefing the Planning Commission and City Council on their analysis and recommendations.
Infill Task Force Members
- Stewart Dunn, Chair, Planning Commission
- Stephen Koenig, Architect
- Lee Weber, Builder/Developer
- Gaver Nichols, Architect
- Lisa Vierse May, Northern Virginia Association of Realtors
- Maria Wasowski, Resident, Mt. Jefferson/Del Ray
- David Brown, Resident, North Ridge
- Mary M. Konsoulis, Resident, Rosemont
- Ken Billingsley, Resident, Strawberry Hill
- December 9, 2009
- November 4, 2009
- June 3,2008, Planning Commission Hearing
- Thursday, May 1, 2008, Infill Community Meeting\
- April 17, 2008
- April 8, 2008 Joint Worksession with Planning Commission and City Council
- March 18, 2008
- February 21, 2008
- January 30, 2008
- January 17, 2008
- December 6, 2007
- November 15, 2007
- October 25, 2007
- October 16, 2007
- August 28, 2007