Goals & Services
The goals of the City's Information Technology Services Department (ITS) are to:
- Effectively and efficiently manage the City’s information and technology assets to improve the delivery support and services to the enterprise.
- Strive, where practical, to reduce costs while improving the value of IT services to the City;
- Meet the business needs of the City departments through the application of appropriate information technologies solutions that are in line with the City’s strategic direction and goals.
- Exercise good stewardship in the development of information technology systems projects through the application of industry standard project management policies and practices that eliminates departmental stovepipes and aligns IT investments functional portfolios.
- Continue to improve the quality, quantity and access to electronic information and services for residents, businesses and City staff; and
- Seek, where practical, to implement joint IT projects with the City government, the Alexandria Library and the Alexandria City Public Schools
The ITS department includes the following groups that provide these services:
- Administrative Services (FY16 Plan) - Responsible for department human resources processing, office management, billing, meeting and schedule coordination, simple purchase management, reception and training administration.
- Enterprise Business Systems Support Division - The newly formed Enterprise Business Systems Support Division consolidates the Applications and Database Management divisions. This division is responsible for the applications and enterprise database administration, data standardization, integration and information exchange. All computer programming and database administration functions will be centrally managed by the Enterprise Business Systems Support Division.
- Information Security Office - Responsible for the assessment, formulation and implementation of enterprise-wide IT security policies.
- Operations Division - The Operations Division consists of three sections, Help Desk, Telecommunications Systems and Operations with responsibility for end-user technical customer service support (Help Desk); telecommunications system planning and day-to-day troubleshooting and operations equipment deployment services; construction, moves, and relocation coordination; (Telecommunications Systems); processing scheduled production, data backup and restores (Operations).
- Network Management Division - The Network Management Division is responsible for management of the Institutional Network (I-Net), email systems and enterprise server systems (including server replacement) and connectivity.
- Enterprise Project Portfolio Management - A central Project Management Office (PMO). Responsible for planning, management and assessment of
enterprise IT capital projects, complex purchase management, budgeting and financial management.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Division - For the development and distribution of map based data and applications and analytical services.
- eGov Division - Supports the technical development, design and management of the City's website and the many customer facing applications.