A new name and a new way to give! The Alexandria Walk to Fight Breast Cancer receives a new name!
To honor the Walk to Fight Breast Cancer’s Founder, Vola Lawson, who passed away in December 2013, the Walk was Renamed the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund. Proceeds from the Fund will continue to provide mammograms and other diagnostic screenings for Alexandria women who are uninsured or under insured.
This year the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund participated in ACTS Spring2Action Giving Day, April 9, 2014. Please help to keep the memory of Vola and her vision alive. You may donate by clicking on the button below or visit: http://www.razoo.com/story/Volalawson-Breastcancer-Memorialfund
Donate or Schedule a matching grant for April 9th! A matching grant multiplies the impact of donations, both for the donor and for the nonprofit. When a matching grant is secured, people are more likely to give to the cause knowing their donation will have twice the impact. A matching grant also gives us the opportunity to recognize you and your generosity. For more information call Latoshia Love at 703.746.3123 or email TheWalk@alexandriava.gov
Donating on April 9, 2014 is important because each share generates on average, $18 more in donations! Become a Free Agent Fundraiser, by making your own Razoo page and help raise funds towards the cause. Tell your friends and family, get competitive! For more information call 703.746.3123 or email TheWalk@alexandriava.gov
About the Walk
The Walk to Fight Breast Cancer was initiated in 1994 by former City Manager Vola Lawson and has developed a rich heritage among the community's business leaders and individuals. As one of Alexandria's most anticipated annual events, the Walk supports free mammograms and other diagnostic screening procedures for Alexandria women who are not adequately insured, who earn low/moderate income and could not otherwise obtain this necessary medical care. We are proud that since its inception, more than 7,000 women have received mammograms and other diagnostic procedures through the generous support of our sponsors, walkers and their pledges.
We want to thank all who sponsored and supported last year's Walk, in which nearly 1,000 people participated, and over $100,000 was raised to help provide Alexandria's women with the best medical care available.
Buy Merchandise & Show Your Support!
Support the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund by purchasing a Breast Cancer Awareness t-shirt, car magnet, shoelaces, hats or other merchandise. All proceeds from the sales will go towards The Fund. Shirt sizes range from Adult Small – 3X; short-sleeve shirts sell for $15 and long-sleeve shirts sell for $20. Shirts are currently available at 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA. It is best to call first. 703.746.3123. All proceeds benefit the Vola Lawson Breast Cancer Memorial Fund.
The Alexandria Breast Cancer Walk Fund at Inova Alexandria Hospital provides free mammograms for women who:
- live in the City of Alexandria
- need a mammogram
- do not have insurance or whose insurance does not cover screening mammograms.
Who needs a mammogram?
- Women over 40 should have a mammogram every year.
- If you have a family history of breast cancer or aren't sure, ask your health care provider.
- Women or men with a suspicious lump should see their health care provider.
How do I get a free mammogram?
After obtaining a prescription for a mammogram, contact the Walk Coordinator at 703.746.3132 for more information on how to access the fund. Women without a health care provider should contact the Arlandria Health Center at 703.535.5568 to request an appointment for an exam.
Ultrasound Associates Women's Imaging Center also donates 20 mammograms annually to women who are uninsured or underinsured and live in the City of Alexandria. For more information on how to obtain access to these mammograms, please call 703.746.3132 or TheWalk@alexandriava.gov.
2013 Walk Sponsors
- Alexandria Fire and Rescue
- Ultrasound Associates Women's Imaging Center
- Jack Taylor's Alexandria Toyota/Scion
- Alexandria Transit Company - DASH
- Westin Alexandria
- Alexandria Gazette
- Covanta Energy
- McEnearney Associates, Inc.
- The TWIG
- Virginia Paving Company
- Abramson Properties
- Annandale High School Girls Athletics
- Grace Episcopal Church and School
- Royce Flowers
- Washington Parent Magazine
- Congressman Jim Moran
- Great Harvest Bread Company
- Kiwanis Club Foundation of Alexandria Virginia Inc
- Landmark Honda
- Physicians and Midwife Collaborative Practice
- Taqueria el Poblano
- The Metro Herald Newspaper
- Alexandria City Council
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Arlington Links
- Association of Alexandria Radiologists
- Bravadas Xtra Hair
- Burke & Herbert Bank and Trust
- Commonwealth One Federal Credit Union
- Friends of the Commission for Women
- Global Business Travel Association
- Hart Calley Gibbs & Karp PC
- Holiday Inn Eisenhower
- J&J Builders General Contractors
- Kimpton Hotels of Alexandria
- Lawhorne for Sheriff and Porter for Commonwealth Attorney
- Maid Brigade
- National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association
- Renner and Company
- Rotary Club of Alexandria
- Soroptimist International of Alexandria
- St. Mary's Catholic Church
- Tempo Restaurant
- The Walking Company
- Vola Lawson
- Walsh, Colucci, Lubeley, Emrich-Walsh, P.C.
- Alexandria Symphony Orchestra
- Moire Marketing Partners
- Pretty Lady Pole Fit
- Thrives Pilates