On April 12, 2008, the Alexandria City Council passed an ordinance to establish the Alexandria Transportation Commission to advocate and promote development of balanced transportation systems for the City of Alexandria, through oversight of the implementation of the Transportation Chapter of the City's adopted Master Plan.
Responsibilities of the Transportation Commission:
- Maintaining a comprehensive transportation development program that identifies the City's long-range transportation needs,
- Recommending on an annual basis a Transportation Improvement Program for the six fiscal years next ensuing,
- Recommending priorities for project requests that are to be submitted for funding through state, regional and local transportation funding programs,
- Recommending and prioritizing project requests that are to be submitted for funding through federal and state grant programs,
- Receiving reports and findings on transportation project development studies and recommending follow up actions,
- Recommending transportation projects for addition to or deletion from the metropolitan planning organization and regional long-range transportation plans,
- Recommending such amendments as may be necessary or desirable to the transportation chapter of the City's adopted Master Plan,
- Preparing periodic reports on the City's progress in implementing its long-range transportation plan,
- Providing upon request input to and support for the City's representatives to regional transportation boards and authorities, and serving as a public forum for discussion
and consideration of matters such representatives may refer to the commission,
- Considering such other transportation related matters as may be referred to the commission by City Council and other City boards and commissions.
Schedule & Meeting Information
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings will be located at City Hall (301 King Street), Council Work Room (Second Floor). Meetings will be held at 7:00 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month. The Transportation Commission does not meet during the month of August.
Public comment on non-public hearing agenda items are welcomed if submitted in writing. Verbal public comments are welcomed during public hearings, which are noted below for specific agenda items.
Transportation Commission Members
- Jennifer Mitchell, Citizen Representative (Chair)
- Maria Wasowski, Planning Commission (Vice Chair)
- Kerry Donley, DASH Board
- William Euille, City Council
- Timothy Lovain, City Council
- John Komoroske, Planning Commission
- Kevin Posey, Traffic and Parking Board
- Josh Sawislak, Environmental Policy Commission
- Louisa Ward, Citizen Representative
- January 8, 2014 - NOTE: This meeting has been rescheduled from January 1 due to the public holiday
- December 4, 2013
- November 15, 2013 - Transportation Commission Retreat, 8:30am to noon at the DASH Board Room, 3000 Business Center Drive (This meeting is open to the public)
- November 6, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting has been cancelled due to there being no agenda items
- October 2, 2013
- September 9, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting has been rescheduled from September 4 due to holidays and conflicting meetings
- August, 2013 - Recess - No Transportation Commission Meeting
- July 10, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting date has been rescheduled due to the July 4 Holiday
- June 5, 2013
- May 8, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting has been rescheduled from the original May 1 date due to the Landmark Mall public meeting on May 1
- April 3, 2013
- March 13, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting has been rescheduled from the original March 6 date due to inclement weather
- February 6, 2013
January 9, 2013 - NOTE: This meeting will begin at 7:00 pm. The meeting date has been rescheduled due to the New Council confirmations being held on January 2.
Archived Meeting Materials