Alexandria elects its nine-member School Board in a non-partisan election held at the same time as the general election for Mayor and City Council. The next city election will be on the date of the General Election, November 6, 2018.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
1. Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
2. A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
3. A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Department of Elections.
These bulletins provide:
1. Filing forms and deadlines
2. Legal requirements and penalties for failure to comply.
3. Information on other required forms.
4. Answers to frequently asked questions about elections and candidates.
Questions may be directed to the State Department of Elections at 1-800-552-9745.