The Health Department phone system is being updated. Please use 703.746.4996 to contact us by phone.
El sistema telefónico del Departamento de Salud está siendo actualizado. Por favor use el 703.746.4996 para contactarnos por teléfono.
Alexandria Health Department Urges Residents to Help Eliminate Mosquito Breeding Areas Following Heavy Rainfall
The Alexandria Health Department has observed a dramatic increase in mosquito populations following heavy rains and urges the public to eliminate standing water around personal property.
The Alexandria Health Department recommends the following tips to reduce exposure to mosquitoes:
- Wear long, loose and light-colored clothing.
- Use insect repellent products when mosquito exposure is likely to occur.
- Eliminate all standing water.
- Turn over or remove containers in your yard where water collects.
- Clean out birdbaths and wading pools once a week.
- Clean roof gutters and downspout screens regularly.
- Repair screens on doors and windows.
The Alexandria Health Department will continue to monitor and try to limit the mosquito populations throughout the City. Storm drains and water in publicly maintained areas are monitored for mosquitoes. Call 703.746.4910 to report standing water on public land that lasts longer than seven days.
For more information on mosquitoes and mosquito-borne diseases, visit alexandriava.gov/MosquitoControl or call the Alexandria Health Department’s Environmental Health Division, at 703.746.4910, or .