Volunteer at the Apothecary
Looking for something different and fun to learn? Interested in the history of medicine and herbs? Enjoy working with the public? Then you'll love volunteering as a tour guide at the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum. We ask for a minimum monthly commitment of 3-6 hours (the equivalent to approximately one tour shift per month) and offer a very flexible schedule. Our volunteers work the “front lines,” giving tours to the walk-in visitors, school groups, and/or special event guests that come year-round. Volunteers are needed weekdays and weekends both during the day and in the evening. The museum does involve some limited stair climbing.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Docent/Tour Guide (any time of week)
- Scout and School Tours (either weekdays or weekends)
The training process is designed to be simple and flexible. After completing this 5-step process, volunteers have completed their initial training and can begin giving tours to the general public.
- Submit a volunteer application. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you after reviewing your application.
- Meet with the Volunteer Coordinator to discuss open opportunities at Gadsby’s and receive an informational binder.
- Observe four regular guided tours.
- Develop your own tour.
- Schedule a tour review with the Volunteer Coordinator.
All volunteers are encouraged to continue learning about the building, the history of medicine, and Alexandria long after the initial training is completed. The Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum offers field trips throughout the year to local sites and lectures.
For More Information
If you have any questions or would like to learn more about other volunteer opportunities at the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator or call the Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum at 703.746.3852.