Alexandria Archaeology has been interested in the history and landscape of Potomac Yard for decades. Since the 1980s, archaeological firms have conducted historical studies and investigations of various segments of the area either for developers as part of the City’s archaeological code or for planning efforts.
Over the years, a vast amount of information has been acquired on the history, prehistoric and historic landscapes, and architecture of the area. While the archaeological site reports listed below do not deal with the operation of the railyard, they do chronicle the continuing importance of Potomac Yard to the transportation industry and indeed the economy of Alexandria and the region.
These seven Heritage Trail signs were placed at Potomac Yard in 2012. The signs are located in the new Potomac Yard Park, along Potomac Avenue.
As part of the Alexandria Legacies oral history project, the Office of Historic Alexandria worked with former employees of Potomac Yard to record and transcribe their memories.
Adams, Robert M.
Cheek, Charles D. and Dana B. Heck
Johnson, Edward and Tammy Bryant
Kaye, Ruth Lincoln
Mullen, John P. and Curt Breckenridge
Mullen, John P. and William P. Barse
Wagner, Daniel P.
Walker, Mark K. and Marilyn Harper
Archival study of the project area, thought to have been settled in the 17th–18th century, documented several periods and uses of the property. Archaeologists suggested the possibility of prehistoric usage of the area. There were three agricultural occupations: first, by a tenant farmer; second, by Preston plantation of the Alexander family, which sustained troop occupation during the Civil War; and, third, by the Fendall family farm. The Alexander and Fendall properties had accompanying family cemeteries, though the former’s burials were moved to Pohick Church in 1922; archaeologists recommended testing for remaining burials. The late-19th-century suburban neighborhood of St. Asaph’s Junction, with its associated railroad station, was also in this area. Archaeologists assessed the potential of the station’s foundations surviving as low but possible. The project area also had major transportation uses. The Alexandria Canal (1843–1887) made its way through most of Potomac Yard before turning east to the city. The area also played a role in rail transport. Its first line—Alexandria and Washington Railroad—was completed in 1857 and used by the United States Military Railroad during the Civil War. By the turn of the 20th century, it contained probably the largest railway classification yard in the U.S.—Potomac Yard—interchanging and classifying freight for five, then six, railroad companies—the first such yard in the country. This report included discussion of the study area’s architectural resources, such as the bunkhouse and engine house—the only two structures likely dating to the time of the original railyard. The report also mentioned the possibility of finding the archaeological remains of other structures as well as rail lines, shops, etc.
Schedule a group tour or program?
Comply with the archaeological preservation laws?
Obtain a Preliminary Archaeological Assessment?
Read site reports and publications?
Apply for an internship?
Sign up for Field School?
Keep up to date with Alexandria Archaeology?
Learn about Alexandria stoneware?
Alexandria Archaeology Museum105 N. Union Street, #327Alexandria, VA 22314703.746.4399Fax: 703.838.6491Email
Museum HoursTuesday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.Sunday, 1 - 5 p.mMonday, Closed
Office HoursTuesday - Saturday9 a.m. to 5 p.m.by appointment