Battery H, 1st Independent PA Hospital
Battery H Hospital, located on a section of Magnus' Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va. (Pendleton Street is located at the far right.)
The Quartermaster map shows a hospital and hospital tents.
Battery H today. (Image from Google Maps.)
Battery H is located at the top of the map. (Click here for a larger image.)
907 Pendleton Street
The Battery H hospital building was made of wood siding, with hospital tents behind it. Other buildings made up their compound, spreading from Pendleton to Wythe, and between N. between Patrick and Alfred Streets. Battery H served in Alexandria from March 1863 until January 1865. Seven men of Battery H died of disease during the war.
Independent Battery H, Light Artillery, was organized in the area of Pittsburgh, PA, on October 21. The Battery was attached to the Defences of Washington and served at Fort Barry until December, 1862. After serving in serving in Maryland and the District of Columbia, the men were sent to Alexandria, where they served provost duty under General Slough for the duration of the war. Independent batteries did not have regimental affiliations. They mustered into the U.S. Volunteer Service and were assigned to larger units.
- Source: CivilWarArchive.com. The source for the Civil War Archive website is Frederick H. Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, Part 3, The Dyer Publishing Company, Cedar Rapids, 1909. This work was compiled by a Civil War veteran from the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies and additional sources.
The Quartermaster map shows a hospital on Pendleton Street, with hospital tents behind it. The map also shows Sutlers private quarters and a sink (the Quartermaster's term for a privy or outhouse).
Location and the Site Today
Battery H is located 907 Pendleton Street, between Alfred and Patrick Streets. Mid-twentieth century houses now occupy the site.
- See the location today on Google Maps.
- Click here to see the location of this hospital in relation to others, on a map prepared by Alexandria Archaeology.