Fowle (Powell) Hospital)
Image 1: 811 Prince Street. Historic Alexandria, Virginia, Street by Street: A Survey of Existing Historic Buildings, Evelyn Cox
Image 2: Fowle (Powell) Hospital, identified along with other hospitals on a section of Magnus'
Birdseye View of Alexandria, Va. (Library of Congress.)
811 Prince Street today.
Powell is located near the center of the map, above Prince Street. (Click here for a larger image.)
811 Prince Street
The Fowle Hospital (sometimes misspelled as Powell in contemporary documents) was located in a three-story masonry home at 811 Prince Street. The house was built in 1854, and purchased by a prominent Alexandria merchant, William J. Fowle in 1855. Fowle went with his family to Richmond as the conflict began, and his son, William H Fowle, III, enlisted in the Confederate army. He sued for the return of his home, but died before what was ultimately a successful court decision. This hospital was considered part of the Prince
Street Hospital on the opposite side of the street. From March, 1862, to Sept.
20, 1862, this hospital was a branch of the General Hospital (Mansion House).
It then became a branch of the 2nd Division General Hospital (Alexandria) until
it closed. (Source: Civil War DC website, from National Archives data.)
These two hospitals were referred to in a Civil War era article in the Alexandria Gazette: "These mansions are known as the Johnston and Powell Houses, Mr. Powell (Wm. J. Fowle) was formerly a merchant and like Mr. Johnston, went to Richmond."
- Source: “The U.S. Hospitals in Alexandria,” Alexandria Gazette, May 20, 1864, p. 2, reproduced in Alexandria Chronicle, Summer 1995, p. 24.
- Title: 811 Prince Street
- Image Source: Historic Alexandria, Virginia, Street by Street: A Survey of Existing Historic Buildings, Evelyn Cox. (Historic Alexandria Foundation, 1976.)
- Image Date: ca. 1976
- Medium: Photograph
No quartermaster map available.
Location and the Site Today
The hospital is located 811 Prince Street.
- See the location today on
- Click here to see the location of this hospital in relation to others, on a map prepared by Alexandria Archaeology.