1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side (Alexandria National Cemetery
A building footprint was recorded September 1865 by William Merrick on his map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station was, and described as a small hospital south of Hooff’s Run. This was possibly a wooden building to quarantine sick employees of the Quartermaster or Railroad.
The hospital was among a cluster of military buildings, and is located on the north side of the 1400 block of Wilkes Street, just west of the stockade. This location, across Wilkes Street from the current Hamilton Street, is now a part of the Douglas Cemetery. Another hospital also known as Kalorama Hospital operated in Washington,D.C., at 23rd and S Streets, NW.
Caption: Detail from map of the U.S. Military Railroad Station, William Merrick, September 1865.
No Quartermaster Map available.
1400 Block of Wilkes Street, north side.
Image: Fran's static GIS map highlighting the site
The Site Today
A section of the Douglas Cemetery now occupies this site.