Sutler Regulations and Licensing
- Sutler participation at Fort Ward Museum-sponsored events is by previous arrangement only. Sutlers who show up the day of the event who have not pre-registered will be turned away.
- As participants in an official Museum education program, sutlers will not be required to obtain separate business licenses. All other retail regulations, such as collecting sales tax, apply and are the responsibility of the vendor.
- Fort Ward Museum charges a sutler participation fee of $50.00, which can be waived if combined with an educational activity. Please contact the Museum staff for more information.
- All clothing and accouterments, tables and displays must be of the Civil War period. Only period goods or authentic reproduction items of the Civil War period may be exhibited and sold. Food or beverage products in modern packaging cannot be sold within the historic area by sutlers. All modern items (coolers, soda bottles, cans, cell phones, plastic items) must be kept out of sight at all times.
- In compliance with City of Alexandria and Commonwealth of Virginia health department regulations, sale of any non pre-packaged foods and beverages is prohibited.
- Fort Ward Museum staff will assign sutler locations.
- There is a one hour time limit for loading and unloading vehicles prior to and after the event. No vehicles will be allowed in Sutler’s Row after the start of the event.
- All persons must be dressed in period attire. Children must be supervised at all times.
- No pets are allowed.
- Fort Ward Museum and its staff and volunteers are not responsible for any losses incurred through theft, accident or inclement weather. It is recommended that sutler tents or set-ups be attended to at all times.
- Sutlers may camp overnight at Fort Ward only at the discretion of the staff and must follow the same regulations for overnight stays as reenactors.
Sutler Registration and Release Forms
Click here for the sutler registration form.
All living history program participants must sign a release form and submit it with their registration. Click here to obtain the release form.