Educational Outreach Kits
Gadsby’s Tavern Museum offers two different kits that can be checked out for use in classroom, home, or club settings.
Tavern in a Trunk
Want to bring objects, primary source documents, and images into your classroom? The Tavern in a Trunk is designed to bring all of this and more directly to the students. Use the lessons and objects to augment your studies of 18th century America and bring the text book to life for your students! Working from primary sources, including maps, diary entries and early newspaper ads, students discover what life was like in the 18th century and explore the important role a tavern played in society. The hands-on clothing, objects, and games work well in the classroom and for Colonial Days.
- Grade range: 1st through 8th grade
- Rental fee: $30 (free to Alexandria City Public Schools)
- Length of rental: 3 weeks
- Shipping: Shipping to the school is covered by the rental fee. Schools are responsible for returning the trunk, either by shipping or dropping off at the museum.
- Reserving the trunk: Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first served basis. In order to request a reservation for use of the trunk, you may call the Curator of Education at 703.746.4242 or send an email.
All lesson plans are based on primary sources and the reproduction objects included in the kit. The teacher only needs to supply materials for the craft activities. All of the worksheets are reproducible and student-ready.
Playing the Past
Recreating an 18th century ball is a fun way to learn about 18th century life by doing! This binder walks your classroom or Girl Scout troop through all of the steps, from researching a character to making clothes to recipes, games, and dances for the big event. A great way to bring together what your students have been learning during their Colonial unit! It also contains connections to Daisy, Brownie, and Junior Girl Scout badges.
- Grade range: 1st through 5th grade (Daisies through Juniors)
- Rental fee: $20 (free to Alexandria City Public Schools)
- Length of rental: 2 months
- Shipping: Shipping to the school or troop leader is covered by the rental fee. Teachers/troop leaders are responsible for returning the kit, either by shipping or dropping off at the museum.
- Reserving the trunk: Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first served basis. In order to request a reservation for use of the kit, you may call the Curator of Education at 703.746.4242 or send an email.
The information and contents in this binder include multiple options for each step so teachers or leaders can tailor the level of difficulty and time spent to the needs of their group. This kit includes reproducible shopping lists and recipes, a DVD dance lesson, and the materials needed for 18th century games. Groups must provide their own craft and food supplies.
This kit allows Junior Girl Scouts to complete the Playing the Past badge, as well as meets a variety of badge requirements for Brownie and Junior Girl Scouts. Provides a fun social event with an educational component for Daisy Girl Scout troops and is ideal for a mother-daughter tea or ball.