Foreclosure Prevention Resources
Home foreclosures continue to occur in Alexandria and throughout Northern Virginia. A number of resources are available to provide guidance and counseling to Alexandrians who may be facing foreclosure or who are simply having trouble balancing their monthly expenses.
The City of Alexandria Office of Housing and Housing Counseling Services have jointly sponsored Foreclosure Clinics and will continue to in the future. Check back for future dates. Foreclosure Prevention Clinics assist delinquent homeowners in seeking solutions to prevent foreclosure. Participants will be individually assessed and given the opportunity to immediately schedule a default and delinquency counseling session. All sessions are provided at no cost to the participant. City residency is not required to attend.
Additional Foreclosure Prevention Resources:
- Housing Counseling Services (HCS): Offers ongoing regional Foreclosure Prevention Clinics. HCS is a HUD approved housing counseling agency and a contract agency of the City of Alexandria. The next Foreclosure Prevention Clinic will be held on September 26, 2011 at 5:30 p.m. at the City's Office of Housing, Conference 3, 421 King Street, Suite 200. For more information, download the flyer.
- Legal Services of Northern Virginia (LSNV): Provides legal advice and housing counseling to low-income homeowners facing foreclosure. In addition to having offices throughout Northern Virginia, LSNV has an office in Alexandria at 603 King St., 4th floor. Walk-in or call ahead appointments are available. For additional information on LSNV’s Foreclosure Legal Assistance Program (FLAP), call 703) 684-5566 or visit www.lsnv.org.
- Northern Virgina Urban League: Provides Foreclosure Prevention Assistance. Contact Jackie Ward-Richardson 703-836-2858, office located at 1315 Duke St., Alexandria, VA. Homeownership Preservation Workshop Flyer
- Housing and Urban Development: HUD's web site offers general information on steps to avoid foreclosure, details on the new FHASecure loan program, and a list of lenders, searchable by service area, who can process loans under the FHASecure loan program.
- The federal government has provided a new resource on the web Making Home Affordable Refinance and Modification Options.
- The Homeownership Preservation Foundation: National HUD-approved nonprofit housing counseling agency providing free telephone counseling through their HOPE Hotline at 888.955.HOPE. Visit the website for more guidance.
- Capital Area Foreclosure Network (CAFN): For more information, visit www.cafn.org
Funding for Neighborhood Stabilization:
In July 2009, Alexandria partnered with a consortium of local member jurisdictions to apply for funding through the second and competitive round of the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP2)
For more information on available foreclosure prevention resources, please contact the Office of Housing at 703.746.4990.