Make the Right Choice--One Plastic Bag at a Time!
September 19, 2009
- Starting September 21, residents, students and businesses are encouraged to “Make the Right Choice, One Plastic Bag at a Time!” by reducing, reusing and recycling their plastic bags
- The initiative will collaborate with local businesses to provide education and information to residents about the negative impact of plastic bags and to increase plastic bag recycling by educating residents.
On Monday, September 21, the City of Alexandria will launch a public outreach and education campaign targeted at recycling plastics and using reusable bags. As part of the Eco-City Alexandria Initiative, residents, students and businesses are encouraged to “Make the Right Choice--One Plastic Bag at a Time!” by reducing, reusing and recycling their plastic bags.
The Plastic Bag Initiative is funded through a State grant secured by state Senator Patricia S. “Patsy” Ticer and former City Councilmember Timothy B. Lovain. The Initiative will work with local businesses to reduce the negative impact of plastic bag use and increase plastic bag recycling by providing information for residents. Current partners of the Plastic Bag Recycling Initiative include 7-Eleven, Presto Valet, COVANTA, Dominion, WM Recycle America, Trex, Washington Art Institute and the Alexandria Times. A public service announcement (PSA) for the initiative was created by former T.C. Williams High School graduate Carlie McGuire. The PSA, which encourages making plastic bag recycling a part of everyday life, will air locally on Comcast cable television.
The City will be hosting several events and contests in conjunction with the Plastic Bag Initiative:
Monday, September 21 - Kick Off Event
Residents are encouraged to bring plastic bags to recycle at the following locations and they will receive a free reusable bag.
- Braddock Road Metrorail Station: 7 a.m. to 9 a.m.
- Market Square (301 King St.): 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Colasanto Park (2700 Mt. Vernon Ave.): 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, October 1 - Plastic Bag Recycling Contest and Pledge
- In recognition of America Recycles Day, November 15, residents and students are asked to submit stories and ideas about how they reduce, reuse and recycle plastic bags to alexandriava.gov/Plastic Bags or by mail to Plastic Bag Initiative, 2900B Business Center Drive, Alexandria, VA 22314. All stories must be submitted by Thursday, October 1. Nine winners will be selected from three categories: residents, students, and employees.
- As part of America Recycles Day, residents can also pledge to reduce, reuse, and recycle by completing pledge forms online or by mail to Plastic Bag Initiative, 2900B Business Center Drive, Alexandria, VA 22314.
For more information, contact Stacy Herring, Recycling Coordinator, Department of Transportation and Environmental Services, at 703.519.3486.