- The City of Alexandria has begun mailing 2013 Business Personal Property Tax returns to all businesses that were operating in the City as of January 1.
- Business Personal Property Tax Returns must be filed by May 1.
- All returns should be accompanied by an asset listing or federal depreciation schedule.
- Removal of assets from the annual asset list must be validated through sufficient documentation.
- Businesses that are new to the City may wish to view the City’s Tax Guide for New City Businesses available at alexandriava.gov/BusinessTax.
More Information: Business Tax Website
The City of Alexandria has begun mailing 2013 Business Personal Property Tax Returns to all businesses that were operating in the City as of January 1. All returns must be received or postmarked by May 1. A business’s annual business personal property tax bill will be based on the return filed with the City. Any business that does not file a return will be statutorily assessed and billed for the business personal property tax.
All returns should be accompanied by an asset listing or federal depreciation schedule to determine the correct classification of equipment, which will be the basis for the annual business personal property tax assessment. Asset listings should include the original purchase price, a detailed description of the equipment, the original acquisition date, and the disposal date, if applicable. Removal of assets from the annual asset list due to disposal, transfer to a new location, or sale must be validated through sufficient documentation, which includes but is not limited to shipping invoices, federal form 4797, or proof of filing for the equipment with another jurisdiction.
Any business that does not receive a business personal property tax return by April 15, has ceased operations, or has had a change of address not previously reported to the City should contact Business Tax staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3903.
Additional information on business personal property taxes and all other business-related taxes is available on the Business Tax website at alexandriava.gov/BusinessTax. Anyone operating or planning to open a new business in the City should take the time to view the City’s Tax Guide for New City Businesses available at the website above.
Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor llame al 703.746.3907
For more information, contact Nathan Carrick, Public Information Specialist, Office of Communications, at 703.746.3199 or Nathan.Carrick@alexandriava.gov.