Spring Clean Up Starts Saturday, April 18
Mulch, Street Sweeping & Gateway Cleaning
The City's annual Spring Clean-Up program starts Saturday, April 18. Residents that receive City refuse collection services are encouraged to participate in the City’s Spring Clean-Up program, which takes place on four consecutive Saturdays throughout April and May.
Residents can place unwanted household clutter, bulky trash and metal items at the curb on their neighborhood collection date. Metals and electronics should be clearly separated from other collection items, as they will be picked up during a separate collection on Saturday.
The City is divided into four collection areas and each area is assigned a specific Saturday.
- Area 1 – Saturday, April 18
- Area 2 – Saturday, April 25
- Area 3 – Saturday, May 2
- Area 4 – Saturday, May 9
Check your collection area by visiting: alexandriava.gov/RefuseCollection.
New this year! In order to make Alexandria a livable, green, and prospering city, crews will be focusing on cleaning the four key gateway entrances to the City. Included in this effort will be general litter pickup, guardrail and signage repairs, drainage improvements, and sidewalk and asphalt repair. These locations include the Telegraph Rd. 495/ Duke St. Interchange, S. Van Dorn St., Duke St. at I- 395, and Seminary Rd. at 395.
Spring Leaf & Wood Mulch Program
For a limited time during the spring and early summer months, mulch is available free of charge and on a first-come, first-served basis at the City’s mulch site located at 4215 Eisenhower Avenue and open Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis.
Mulch Site Location and Hours:
The City of Alexandria's mulch site is location at 4215 Eisenhower Avenue. Hours of operation are Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Gates close at 3:30 p.m.).
Delivery of Mulch:
Orders can be placed for delivery of mulch throughout April and May. Delivery dates and times are limited, and appointments are on a first come first served basis. Deliveries are made to Alexandria residents only. The charge is $50 for each load (full, or half).
For more information about the City’s Spring Leaf and Wood Mulch program, visit: alexandriava.gov/YardWaste.
Spring also marks the start of the City’s annual street sweeping program. This cleaning effort enhances the overall condition and appearance of the City and limits trash and litter from the polluting the Chesapeake Bay.
The City will clean 561 lanes miles of roads at least three times over the next several months. Sweepers operate along all residential including streets where signs are posted restricting parking during street sweeping hours. Violators may be subject to ticketing and towing of vehicles in order to facilitate street cleaning activities.
How You Can Help
- Pick up the litter and trash around your property, rather than sweeping these items into the street, alley or gutter, as they will eventually end up in the Potomac Bay.
- Residential property owners are responsible for maintaining the sidewalks adjacent to their property. Commercial property owners are responsible for the public space around their property including the curb and gutter area.
- Use the street litter and recycling cans as you walk along the City’s commercial streets. The litter cans are for pedestrian trash only, not household trash
- To obtain street and alley cleaning services, use Call.Click.Connect., the City’s online customer service system or call 703.746.HELP (4357).
For more information about the City’s Spring Clean-Up program, to find your area or date online, visit: alexandriava.gov/RefuseCollection.