Royal Street Bus Garage Ad hoc Advisory Committee
The Royal Street Bus Barn Ad hoc Advisory Committee will be a City Manager appointed group established to provide guidance to the City and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) with regard to the redevelopment of the Royal Street Bus Barn site, specifically in the creation of redevelopment parameters and design standards for the site. Ultimately, the redevelopment parameters and design standards established through the Committee will be considered in the Request for Proposals (RFP) to be developed and issued by WMATA in consultation with the City.
The Committee will include appointed officials, adjacent residents, major property owners and representatives of civic, community and business organizations with an interest in the site.
1. Mary Lyman -
2. Tom Soapes - North Old Town Independent Citizens’ Association (NOTICe)
3. Daniel Straub - Old Town North Urban Design Advisory Committee (UDAC)
4. Jim Doll - Chatham Square Homeowners Association
5. Steve Goodman - Garrett’s Mill Homeowners Association
6. Janet Powell - Portner’s Landing Homeowners Association
7. Richard Moncure - Portner's Landing Condominium Association
8. Mike Wenk - Alexandria House Homeowners Association
9. Patricia "Velator" Smith - Annie B Rose House (Tenant)
10. Roy Priest - Alexandria Redevelopment and Housing Authority (ARHA)
11. Cathy Puskar - Northern Virginia Building Industry Association
12. Ken Wire - Northern Virginia Building Industry Association (NVBIA)/NAOIP
13. Carolyn Merck - Old Town Civic Association (At-large member)
14. Nancy Appleby - At-large member
15. John Resende - At-large member
Staff Contact: Jessica McVary, Planning and Zoning, 703-746-3813
Tentative Meeting Schedule
Note: Weekday meetings will be held in the evening and Saturday meetings will be held in the morning, with specific time and location to be determined. This schedule is subject to change, but notice of changes will be provided well in advance. All meetings are open to the public.
Meeting 1 - Saturday, February 8
Discussed the site background, existing conditions. Staff conducted a tour of the site and surrounding community and the Committee began the discussion of design parameters and standards on three core areas: street character, open spaces/connections, and height/scale transitions. Watch the meeting video for the full presentation and discussion.
Meeting 2 - Wednesday, March 12: Begin to identify desired public benefits and design principles to be incorporated in the redevelopment parameters and design standards.
Meeting 3 - April 2, 2014 : Refine draft redevelopment parameters and design standards for presentation at larger community meeting in May.
Early May: Planning Commission Work Session (open to the public)
Meeting 4 - Saturday May 10 or Saturday May 31 (this date will be confirmed in March): Advisory Committee will host a larger community meeting to introduce the redevelopment parameters and design standards. Committee members will facilitate the discussion to solicit feedback from the general community.
Meeting 5 - Thursday, June 5 or June 12 (this date will be confirmed in March): Final meeting to incorporate community feedback and finalize draft redevelopment parameters and design standards.