Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Planning Process
Click image to enlarge map
- Where are we in the process?
- Cancelled: Advisory Group/Community Meeting: Thursday, May 28, 2015, 7:00-9:00pm (Charles Houston Recreation Center)
- Upcoming meetings:
- Monday, June 1, 2015 - Advisory Group/Community Meeting, 7:00pm - 9:00pm, Charles Houston Recreation Center, 901 Wythe Street
- Tuesday, June 2, 2015 - Planning Commission - Work Session, 6:00pm, City Hall, City Council Workroom, 2nd Floor
- Tuesday, June 23, 2015 - City Council - Work Session, 7:00pm, City Hall, City Council Chambers, 2nd Floor
- Monday, June 29, 2015 - Advisory Group/Community Meeting,7:00pm - 9:00pm, Charles Houston Recreation Center, 901 Wythe Street
- Mount Jefferson Park Planning
- Stay informed with
Alexandria's eNews service!
At the January 2014 City Council work session on the proposed FY 2015 interdepartmental planning work program, staff indicated that the owner of Oakville Triangle would like to redevelop their 13 acre (approximate) property. The owner, an entity owned by The Blackstone Group, has agreed to fund consultant services and staffing so that the City can begin planning and process the associated applications beginning in FY 2014. The scope of the planning effort and the Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Plan Boundary includes Oakville Triangle and adjacent properties as well as the Route 1 corridor north and south of the site. Staff assembled background information on the planning area to assist members of the community as the process got underway. The City Council appointed Advisory Group and community will assist in developing Plan principles for the site regarding potential land uses, open space, sustainability, transportation and connectivity, and potential community benefits, among other topics. The corridor study will review features such as streetscaping, undergrounding of utilities, and potential redevelopment sites along the western portion of Route 1. The corridor study will help to establish a unified streetscape for Route 1 and an integrated approach to potential redevelopment along Route 1.
Work Plan - Last revision, May 21, 2015
Background Information Packet Part 1 (Plan area context, aerials, existing zoning and property ownership, open space context, and property survey)
Background Information Packet Part 2 (Historic maps, figure ground map, Potomac West SAP excerpt, Metro walkshed, images of existing buildings, Potomac Yard approvals)
Frequently Asked Questions
All meetings associated with the Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Study Advisory Group are open to the public. Please follow this link for meeting materials and community comments.
Multimodal Transportation Study
The initial results of the Multimodal Transportation Study for the Oakville Triangle and Route 1 Corridor Planning Study Area was presented to the Advisory Group at the October Advisory Group and Community Meeting 7. The transportation study analyzes the impacts of the redevelopment of parcels along the west side of Route 1, between Lynhaven Drive and just south of East Bellefonte Avenue. The study analyzes existing and future transportation conditions of Route 1 and affected neighborhood streets in the context of a redeveloped Oakville Triangle and Route 1 Corridor Planning Study area. The study was performed concurrently with the land use plan development effort to make recommendations for the future multimodal transportation network.
The next phase of the analysis is taking a more in-depth look at the operations of the Metroway and transit in the corridor, and we will be coming back to the Advisory Group with those findings later in the spring. The findings and transportation recommendations will be the basis of recommendations for the Plan.
The Multimodal Transportation Study can be found at the following pdf links:
Oakville Triangle Final Report March 2015
Oakville Triangle Final Appendices March 2015
Frequently Asked Questions
Please visit this page for answers to frequently asked questions regarding the Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Study.
Resources Available to Oakville Triangle and Route 1 Corridor Businesses
Alexandria Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
The Alexandria SBDC provides counseling, training, and information in all aspects of small business management, at no cost to the business.
Alexandria Economic Development Partnership (AEDP)
The AEDP assists businesses and organizations with information, economic and demographic statistics, tax and financial incentives, and the availability of real estate, office, and retail space. Contact AEDP for assistance in identifying office, retail, land, and industrial spaces for sale or lease, by calling (703) 739-3820 or via email here.
Oakville Triangle and Route 1 Corridor Advisory Group
- The nine-member Oakville Triangle and Route 1 Corridor Advisory Group was established by City Council Resolution on March 11, 2014, and membership was selected by the City Manager after a public nominations process.
- The Advisory Group will provide advice to City staff on the planning and associated regulatory submissions for Oakville Triangle and the Route 1 Corridor, specifically assisting in developing Plan principles regarding potential land uses, open space, sustainability, transportation and connectivity issues, and potential community benefits, among other topics.
- Advisory Group meetings are open to the public and all members of the community are invited and encouraged to participate.
- Maria Wasowski, Planning Commission Representative, Chair
- Pat Miller, Business Representative
- Ben Flood, Del Ray Citizens Association Representative
- Kory Mertz, Lynhaven Citizens Association Representative
- Patricia Harris, Potomac Yard South Representative
- Frank Fannon, At-Large Representative
- David Fromm, At-Large Representative
- Rodrigo Letonja, At-Large Representative
- Peter Pocock, At-Large Representative
If, for any reason, you would like to contact an Advisory Group member or forward information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3855.
Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Background Packet:
Part 1 |
Part 2 (April 23, 2014)
Draft Civic Engagement Framework (April 23, 2014)
Oakville Triangle/Route 1 Corridor Plan Boundary (April 29, 2014)
Potomac West Small Area Plan (1992)
Potomac Yard/Potomac Greens Small Area Plan (1992)
North Potomac Yard Small Area Plan (2010)
Alexandria Master Plan Map
For additional information or to get involved, please contact Katherine Carraway at 703-746-3855 or email@example.com.