JUNE 1, 2010 #10-027
1:00 P.M. DONALDSON
Alexandria Police Target Handicap Parking Violators
The Alexandria Police Department has begun to conduct increased enforcement of handicap parking violators at locations Citywide. This enforcement effort will focus on violators on both public streets as well as parking lots of theaters, recreation centers and private shopping centers.
Officers from the Department's Motor Unit and Parking Enforcement Unit will concentrate on locations of higher incidents of violations and will be asking individuals using the placards to provide a valid registration card to match the placard issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Officers will be issuing citations to drivers who illegally park in handicapped parking spots and who are in possession of expired or fraudulent placards.
Remember, it is unlawful to:
• Park in a space reserved for disabled individuals without displaying your disabled placard or plates. A conviction of this offense will result in a $500 fine.
• Park in a space designated for the disabled unless you are transporting the person to whom the disabled placard or plates have been issued or allowing someone to use your placard to illegally park in a reserved space. A conviction of these offenses could result in fines of up to $500 and/or the revocation of your disabled parking privileges, requiring you to surrender your placard or plates.
It is also illegal to:
• Create or use a counterfeit copy of a disabled parking placard or license plates.
• Alter a disabled parking placard or license plates
• Make false statement about a disability in order to obtain or assist someone else in obtaining a disabled parking placard or license plates.
Remember to always remove your placard before you begin to drive away to prevent any obstruction of your view.