City of Alexandria, VA
Park Location: 300 King Street (map)
Park Area: 1.11 acres
Park Features: Event space, farmers market, open plaza with fountain and planting beds
In 1749, two half-acre lots were reserved for a marketplace and town hall. The Farmers' Market, the oldest continuously running market in the country, is held every Saturday from 5:00am to 10:30am year-round.
For more information on the Farmer's Market, call 703.746.3200.
Park Location: 10 East Monroe Avenue (map)
Park Area: 0.31 acres
Park Features: Playground and sitting area
Mason Avenue Mini Park has been adopted by the Del Ray Citizens’ Association.
Park Location: 300 Buchanan Street (map)
Park Area: 3.83 acres
Park Location: 3701 West Braddock Road (map)
Park Area: 5.38 acres
During the school year the Minnie Howard School holds its gym classes on the playing field, and in the evening the Alexandria Soccer Association has regularly scheduled soccer practice. The T.C. Williams girls field hockey and men’s and women’s lacrosse teams also use the field.
Park Location: 320 Beverly Drive (map)
Park Area: 6.24 Acres
There is a small off leash dog area along the trail. During the early morning and in the late evening migrating birds can be seen along the small stream.
Park Location: 901 North Royal Street (map)
Park Area: 2.01 Acres
Park Features: Fenced dog run, four lighted tennis courts, tennis practice board, parking, picnic tables, playground, shelter, and water fountain
Montgomery Park has been adopted by the Old Town North Community Association.
Park Location: 2600 Mount Vernon Avenue (map)
Park Area: 1.58 acres
Park Features: Athletic fields and tennis court
Playgrounds are also located at the adjacent Mount Vernon School site.
Park Location: 1609 Cameron Street (map)
Park Area: 2.71 acres (0.48 acres Facility Area)
The Old Town Pool is adjacent to the Durant Recreation Center to the east and Buchanan Park to the north. The adult pool is 25 meters. A handicap accessible wading pool with a 900 square foot area is also on site. There is a bath house on the Cameron Street side of the pool.
For more information on Pool hours, click here: http://alexandriava.gov/Pools
Park Location: 1108 Jefferson Street (map)
Park Area: 14.6
Park Features: Athletic fields, basketball court, playground, recreation center, tennis courts, and volleyball court
The multi-purpose fields, primarily used for soccer, football, and little league softball/baseball, are located on the north side of the building. South of the building are two lighted tennis courts, basketball courts, a volleyball court, and a mini-playground with sitting area.
The “Nannie J. Lee” recreation center is located at east wing of the building. The center is named for the late Nannie J. Lee, a community activist who was instrumental in the development of recreational activities for the children in the southwest area of Alexandria. She was also a key advocate and supporter towards the building and establishing of the recreation center.
Park Location: 2251 Mill Road (map)
Park Area: 2.83 acres
Park Features: A nature area with stream
Park Location: 100 Madison Street (map)
Park Area: 5.08 acres
Park Features: Event space, parking, picnic areas, and walking/biking/jogging trails
Each park entry is noted for its shrub and flower bed display. Oronoco Park has many festivals and is often rented for events.
Park Location: 4643 Taney Avenue (map)
Park Area: 11.56 acres
Park Features: Athletic fields, tennis courts, wooded area
This park is adjacent to the Patrick Henry Recreation Center and School which has playgrounds on site.
Park Location: 1333 Pendleton Street (map)
Park Area: 0.38 acres
Park Features: A small passive park with a shaded sitting area
Pendleton Park has been adopted by the West Old Town Civic Association.
Park Location: 1 Duke Street (map)
Park Area: 0.38 acres
Park Location: 600 South Union Street (map)
Park Area: 0.84 acres
Park Usage: Riverfront sitting area
Pomander Park is adjacent to Windmill Hill Park and is part of the linear chain of parks along the Alexandria Waterfront.
Park Location: 700 Carpenter Road (map)
Park Area: 18.47 acres
Park Features: Playground, seating area, wooded area with trails
The playground and park shelter are located on Carpenter Street.
Park Location: 2000 Main Line Boulevard (map)
Park Area: 4.2
Park Features: Athletic fields
Potomac Yard Fields will be replaced in Fall 2011 with new fields to become part of Eugene Simpson Stadium Park.
Park Location: 1010 Douglas Street (map)
Park Area: 1.47 acres
Park Features: Basketball court, playground, and tennis court
Powhatan Park has been adopted by the Northeast Citizens’ Association.
Park Location: 1426 Janneys Lane and 1422 Janneys Lane (map)
Park Area: 1.13 acres
Park Location: 2 Montgomery Street (map)
Park Area: 2.84 acres
Park Features: Riverfront sitting, picnic areas, and volleyball
The majority of Rivergate Park is owned by the Rivergate Owners Association with permanent public access to the waterfront park area. This park is part of a system of linear parks along Alexandria’s waterfront.
Park Location: 1 Wolfe Street (map)
Park Area: 0.23 acres
Park Features: Riverfront sitting area.
Roberdeau park is part of a system of linear parks along Alexandria’s waterfront.
Park Location: 3002 Valley Drive (map)
Park Area: 1.3 acres
Robert Leider Park has been adopted by Troop 129 & 113 Boy Scouts of America.
Ruby Tucker Park
Park Location: 3500 Jefferson Davis Highway (map)
Park Area: 0.31 acres
Park Features: Benches and horseshoe pit
Park users must bring horseshoes to use the horseshoe pit.
Ruby Tucker Park is maintained by The Preston Condominium.
Rynex Nature Area
Park Location: 1500 N. Chambliss Street (map)
Park Area: 9.32 acres
Park Features: Heavily wooded nature area
Prior to the Civil War, the area in which Rynex Park and Dora Kelley Park now reside was called Lebanon, named after the Lebanon Union Church previously on site. The church was burned to the ground in retaliation for the Union Army’s loses at the Battle of Bull Run. Today, the cemetery, which is maintained by the Parks Division, is all that remains of where the Lebanon Union church once stood.