E-mail Timeline

Re: Ethanol facility...

  • To: John Catlett
  • Subject: Re: Ethanol facility...
  • From: Adam Thiel
  • Date: 10 Jan 2008 14:42:15
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: some new information...see below:

From: Williams, Paul B []
Wednesday, January 09, 2008 4:14 PM
Oertly, William J; Rudner, Glen
Schoendorfer, David L.; Oertly, William J
RE: Norfolk Southern

            The NS Safety & Environmental Groups have been actively working with the City of Alexandria Fire Marshall?s Office for over a year.  We have met with them twice at the site to show them where the transloading will occur and where the office trailer will be located.  We have asked them where they would like the ?Knox? box located so that they will have a key to the facility.  NS has agreed to have our contractor provide 1,600 gallons of alcohol resistant foam on-site (in 5 gallon containers), a cart to haul to foam to the cars, and a heated storage building to house the foam.  We have recently completed the installation of a new water main and several new fire hydrants in the facility.  We even consulted the Fire Marshall?s Office on where they wanted the foam storage building located on our lot.  We are currently working with our contractor to arrange to have several members of the Fire Marshall?s Office (at their request) tour the Baltimore ethanol facility currently being operated by the same contractor.  This is supposed to take place in January.  I have also offered the head of the City?s Haz Mat group a free scholarship to Pueblo in April of this year.
            It sounds to me like the various agencies within the City are not communicating with each other.  I do not know what else NS could do to be more accommodating or provide more information.
Paul B. Williams
Asst. Mgr., Hazardous Materials
Norfolk Southern Railway
110 Franklin St., SE, Box 13
Roanoke, Va 24042
Phone:   540-855-6942
Fax:       540-855-6472

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: 703.838.4600
Fax: 703.548.6952

John Catlett

01/10/2008 01:12 PM

Adam Thiel
Re: Ethanol facility...Link

I think I must of missed something.  Last word I received was shut down everything and send enquires through CMO.  Did something change where we were to set up the meetings, etc?

From what I can tell from the literature, the operation is portable in nature. We can discuss this evening.

John D. Catlett, MCP
Code Enforcement Director
Alexandria Fire Department
301 King Street, Room 4200
Alexandria, Virginia  22314

Office: (703) 838-4644, Ext. 110
Fax: (703) 838-3880

"Don't be afraid to give up the good to go for the great."
John D. Rockefeller