Re: Norfolk Southern Ethanol

  • To: Michele Evans
  • Subject: Re: Norfolk Southern Ethanol
  • From: Adam Thiel/Alex
  • Date: 05 May 2008 12:05:35
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Jim Hartmann

Michele:

The answers aren't particularly clear-cut, since it's a market-driven operation and they are actively soliciting new customers; we'll contact them to confirm the present and maximum operating limits for the facility...as well as the current (they can go anywhere, depending on the customers) destinations for the loaded trucks. (Bottom-line, between the trains and the trucks, it's a 24/7 facility, although transloading only occurs during daylight hours, Monday-Friday.)

They created primary/secondary containment areas, installed a grounded/bonded/monitored product transfer system, added several new fire hydrants and eyewash stations, built additional fencing, and provided the shed with 1500 gallons of foam--which really doesn't help us and I'm cautious about raising anybody's expectation that we could actually respond to a fire incident and do anything to safely mitigate it at this point.

We've already done the research, as part of our needs assessment; there have been a number of incidents around the country, but with the growing "ethanol economy," the future is hard to predict. Norfolk Southern's take is that they've built the "BMW of ethanol transloading facilities." While that may be true, the location remains problematic and demands a robust response capability that does not currently exist in the region.

More to follow after I talk with them today.

Adam K. Thiel
Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Fax: xxx-xxx-xxxx
E-mail: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

Michele Evans/Alex

05/05/2008 11:01 AM

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
Re: Norfolk Southern EthanolLink

Adam,.
 I need for  you to contact them today and find out how many hours a day and how many days a week they expect the trucks to be running.

I need to know what provisions they have made already for safety - you mentioned that they had some foam in their shed.  I also need to know what is new there - the shed?  looks like that may have already been there.  the fence?  anything else.

Also please confirm that the tankers are going to the two tanks farms in Newington and Fairfax City, since we do not have anything in writing.

Then I need for you to let them know in the next day or two  we will be sending something   to city council and later, the community, informing them that this is now a working operation.

  We will send them what we send out as soon as we do it, since I expect that they will get questions.

I would strongly suggest that you do some research on what if any accidents or incidents involving fire or spills have occurred around the country in ethanol off-loading operations and where .  Norfolk Southern may be able to help you.  I guarantee that the community and press will do this for us if we don't do it.

thanks
Michele

Adam Thiel/Alex

05/03/2008 09:27 AM

Michele Evans/Alex@Alex
Re: Norfolk Southern EthanolLink

The trucks will be going in/out during the day.

Nothing written describing what they've done so far;
I'm sure we'll get something if/when they accept our proposal and/or provide a counter-offer. If not, I'll ask for a letter (I'd rather wait for that, since they keep beating the "we've already done so much" drum).