RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment List

  • To: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting
  • Subject: RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment List
  • From: "McNeil, Doug" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 23:27:26 -0400
  • Cc: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting, Byron Andrews III <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>, "Webb, Mike" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Edwards, John, V" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Jordan, A. Gayle" <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, Lawson David <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Wingo, William B." <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Chapman, Robin C." <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>, "Reiner, James E." <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>

Adam Thiel

As a follow up to our conference call on May 9, 2008, Norfolk Southern has reviewed the attached list of Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment and Supplies provided by the Alexandria Fire Department.  In summary this list includes:

Dedicated F450 Tow Vehicle with utility body

Foam Trailer with two loaded 330 gallon totes

Set of Foam Nozzle/Eductors

Monitoring/Spill Control Equipment

Because neither Alexandria nor any of the surrounding mutual aid jurisdictions have this equipment, we plan to contribute these as well as the 1,640 gallons of AR-AFFF foam on hand at the Norfolk Southern ethanol transloading facility to the Alexandria Fire Department for general purpose use.  Further, we recognize some efficiencies could be gained by storing some of these items at the Norfolk Southern site, and would offer that to you at no cost.  If the Alexandria Fire Department chooses to store any equipment and/or foam at the facility site, such storage would be at Alexandria’s risk; we will not provide any security beyond what we actually provide to the facility itself.  In the highly unlikely event that the equipment is used to respond to an incident at the Norfolk Southern ethanol transload facility, Norfolk Southern would replace any used foam.  In addition, we understand your desire to train Alexandria fire fighters in dealing with railroad emergencies of all kinds.  We would be pleased to sponsor one attendee per year at the Transportation Technology Center, Inc. (“TTCI”) Emergency Response Training Center.

Norfolk Southern continues to value the relationship we have developed with the Alexandria Fire Department.  We believe that what we have offered, together with the design/build of the facility itself, constitutes a very strong commitment to ensuring adequate fire and spill protection.  We look forward to continuing to work with you to provide fact based information to the community.

Douglas P. McNeil

Director Government & Distribution Services

Norfolk Southern Corporation

Three Commercial Place

Norfolk, VA 23510

xxx-xxx-xxxx