Urgent 2008 Expenditures

  • To: Russell Middleton; John North; Troy Gibbs; Chet Helms; Virginia Lester; Byron Andrews III
  • Subject: Urgent 2008 Expenditures
  • From: James Lynch/Alex
  • Date: 12 May 2008 15:41:04
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

All:  We are projecting a balance of unexpended funds for 2008 in the range of $200,000-$400,000.  (Finance is validating our projections.)  In discussions with the Chief, he requested that we identify options for funds expenditure that would principally support the findings of the Routley report.  Attached is a preliminary list of expenditure options.  Please note that this exercise is not at all guaranteed given the City's financial condition, i.e., this is not a sure thing .

  • Health and Safety/Captain Gibbs:  I listed several items for the Three Safety Officers initiative that could be purchased now, including a vehicle.  (All vehicle purchases must be taken in possession by the Department by June 30.  Chief North has Joe Saputo checking into these options. Painting and outfitting of the vehicles will occur after June 30; hence, the absence of any funds for vehicle outfitting.) Options for general health and safety, i.e., infrared camera and accident recording equipment were provided by Chief Thiel.  Need your help in elaborating on these options plus estimating costs.
  • Health and Safety/Chief Helms:  Chief Thiel proposed the purchase of additional exercise equipment.  I assume you can provide a listing of the equipment along with prices.
  • Security/Chief North.  We are proposing purchase and installation of security cameras for Stations 202 and 204 and for the immediate areas of the Training Center due to the recent thefts of catalytic converters on several vehicles.
  • Administative Services.  Administrative Services requires additional assistance to assess and propose changes to current processes and procedures.  At the low end, I estimate a cost of $50,000
  • Ethanol transfer/Captain Andrews.  Depending on the outcome of negotiations with Norfolk-Southern, should we be required to invest funds in accident prevention and/or response, this would be an ideal vehicle for securing needed funding.

If schedules permit, I propose that we discuss these items in greater detail after tomorrow's Senior Staff Meeting (approximately 2:00 PM).  Please let me know your availability.

Contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks

Jim