Fw: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment List

  • To: Ray Welch; Steve Gordon
  • Subject: Fw: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment List
  • From: James Lynch/Alex
  • Date: 15 May 2008 16:48:41
  • Bcc:
  • Cc: Virginia Lester; John North; text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting

Ray and Steve,

Good afternoon.  We haven't met as yet but I am (since late February 2008), the Administrative Services Division Chief of the Fire Department.  Virginia Lester (our Fiscal Officer) and I would like to meet with you tomorrow morning (at your offices) around 10:00 (assuming your availability).  The topic is the purchase by Norfolk-Southern of approximately $116,000 of equipment for the Fire Department pertaining to the ethanol transfer facility operated by Norfolk-Southern within City boundaries. The issue is how best do we undertake this exercise.  We have identified two options:
  • Establish a Special Revenue Account, similar to that used by Code for the Potomac Yards project, in which Fire purchases all equipment and then we bill Norfolk-Southern; or,
  • Fire arranges for all equipment with vendors via a letter or memo; states that the invoice goes to Norfolk-Southern; Fire sends Norfolk-Southern the equipment order and the name of vendor contact; and Norfolk-Southern pays.

Below are a series of e-mails on the topic. Please note the last e-mail from the City Manager in which he directs an expeditious resolution of this equipment buy.

I have also attached the list of equipment to be purchased on behalf of the City/Fire Department using Norfolk-Southern funds.

Looking forward to discussing this with you tomorrow.  Please call me at 706-3940, x213, if you have any questions.

Thanks

Jim Lynch

----- Forwarded by James Lynch/Alex on 05/15/2008 04:26 PM -----
Jim Hartmann/Alex

Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, James Lynch/Alex@Alex, John North/Alex@Alex, Steve Gordon/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Fw: RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment ListLink

Okay. But this needs top priority. Lets get a good handle on the lead time asap. I need to know when we will have the equipment in place ( and don't tell me we are going to paint the truck).Can we assess availability by tomorrow?
Jim Hartmann
Alexandria City Manager
xxx-xxx-xxxx

Michele Evans/Alex

John North/Alex@Alex
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, James Lynch/Alex@Alex, text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting
Subject
Re: Fw: RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment ListLink

Thanks John.

This sounds like a good plan.  We need to move ahead quickly after that, since we need the equipment to be able to respond. (I am stating the obvious, I guess).
Michele

John North/Alex

Michele Evans/Alex@Alex
cc
Adam Thiel/Alex@Alex, James Lynch/Alex@Alex
Subject
Re: Fw: RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment ListLink

Ms.Evans,
I just spoke with Mr. McNeil with NS, the plan is, if you approve, we will do the ordering and have NS invoiced directly. Mr. McNeil is going to run this by his fiscal staff but sees no problem. I told Mr. McNeil we will not begin until Monday allowing him to do a final check on his end, and allow me to check and get approval on this end.
thanks
John

John W. North
Battalion Chief
Special Operations
Office xxx-xxx-xxxx
Cell xxx-xxx-xxxx

Michele Evans/Alex

John North/Alex@Alex
Re: Fw: RE: Detailed Alexandria FD Ethanol Fire/Spill Response Equipment ListLink

Good idea
Thanks
Michele