Norfolk Southern Railroad facility

  • To: Mark Penn; Charlie McRorie/Alex; Kim Purcell; Ashley Ehrhart; Paul Scaffido
  • Subject: Norfolk Southern Railroad facility
  • From: Mark Penn/Alex
  • Date: 28 Apr 2008 13:49:24
  • Bcc:
  • Cc:

Last week we had an official meeting with the Norfolk Southern representatives regarding the new ethanol facility off of Van Dorn Street.  Summary of the information:

20 rail car facility
spill prevention control accomplished with a concrete curb large enough to hold over one tank full
tracks are inside the curbed area
fire hydrants and wash stations added
facility has a perimeter fence
key in know box
off loading pumps grounded and bonded
On site manager Tony Rosenthal  xxx-xxx-xxxx
all employees hazwoper trained
large quantity of Alcohol resistance AFFF foam stored in 5 gallon containers on site
no off hour security
trains travel from Lynchburg Va to Alexandria 6 days per week
trucks are loaded and then they deliver to Newington
each tank car hold 30,000 gallons
each tanker hold 8000 gallons
facility operated by RSI under contract to Norfolk Southern

FYI
John North will be working with them on emergency response issues.
John Catlett will be working with them on Code issues
T&ES is working with them on Haul Permits
Fire Chief is working with them on getting some fire fighting capability
we will be doing a plan later

No contacts with them without my permission.  We will set up a tour in the future.

Questions see me!

Mark Penn
Emergency Management Coordinator
Voice xxx-xxx-xxxx ext. 283
Fax xxx-xxx-xxxx

?What ought one to say then as each hardship comes? I was practicing for this, I was training for this.?
Roman Philosopher, Epictetus (55-135 AD)