Fw: Norfolk Southern Transloading Facility

  • To: "Jim Hartmann" <text converted to image to prevent junkmail harvesting>
  • Subject: Fw: Norfolk Southern Transloading Facility
  • From: Justin_Wilson/Alex%ALEX
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 20:06:27 -0400

Fyi

----
Justin M. Wilson, Member
Alexandria City Council
Office: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Home: xxx-xxx-xxxx

From: J Bennett [xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx]
Sent: 05/22/2008 05:04 PM MST
To: Bill Euille <Mayor Euille>; Ludwig Gaines <Ludwig Gaines>; Rob Krupicka <Rob Krupicka>; Tim Lovain <Timothy Lovain>; Del Pepper <Del Pepper>; Paul Smedberg <Paul Smedberg>; Justin Wilson
Cc: Ingrid Sanden <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>
Subject: Norfolk Southern Transloading Facility

Mayor and City Council,

I am dismayed at the City's action/inaction on the Norfolk Southern
ethanol transloading facility  issue.   It appears, based on City
Manager Jim Hartmann's May 15 memo, that City staff knew about
Norfolk Southern plans sometime (probably well) before mid-April and
"negotiated" an accommodation  with Norfolk Southern on behalf of the
City.  Norfolk Southern started operating the facility in mid-April
according to the memo.  Staff did not inform citizens in the
community and City Council of Norfolk Southern plans and operations,
nor what Staff had negotiated, until this May 15 memo.

We expect our elected officials to be proactive with other
governmental levels and private and public institutions in looking
out for the public good of Alexandrians.  Neither you - nor the
community - can actively and effectively discharge your
responsibilities if you are not informed of important issues at early
stages.

To add insult to injury, we were informed in an e-mail message on May
15 from the City Manager's office, that we should await a community
meeting with the Norfolk Southern public relations department to
discuss this vital issue.  Apparently City Staff (and City Council?)
 are willing to abrogate its responsibilities for citizen involvement
to private interests.

Is this the best you can do?  The way this matter has been and is
being handled is not something that you, our elected officials,
should   tolerate, nor is it something that we, the citizens, should
tolerate of you and City Staff.  The City's handling of this matter
has been outrageous.

Joe Bennett