Bus Stop Accessibility & Amenities Program
The City of
Alexandria provides facilities at bus stops to help make transit more
accessible, comfortable, and convenient to customers; thereby encouraging
usage. The City's Office of Transit Services is responsible for implementing
bus stop improvements, which includes:
- Installing Passenger Loading Pads /
Accessible Bus Stops
- Installing Bus Stop Bulb-Outs
- Installing Bus Stop Benches
- Installing Bus Shelters
This program is a
continuation of the City of Alexandria’s effort to improve accessibility for
all transit patrons. The goals and objectives of this program are:
- Expand the number of ADA accessible bus
- Increase pedestrian access and
connectivity to the fixed-route bus system
- Improve mobility independence for transit
users of all ages and abilities and remove barriers for the disabled community
As part of this
program, the City of Alexandria has a bus shelter initiative to replace
shelters installed in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s and install new bus shelters
at locations throughout the City of Alexandria.
- The City’s standard bus shelter design
plan can be found here.
- The City’s standard bus shelter
specifications can be found here.
consists of the design and construction of new concrete bus shelter pads, as
well as the fabrication and installation of City standard bus shelters.
This program reinforces the City of Alexandria’s commitment to providing
enhanced passenger amenities for transit riders.
For a bus stop to
qualify for bus shelter placement and installation, the following criteria must
- Boarding (40 plus daily)
- Available right-of-way to install a
consideration for shelter installations will be given to the following:
- Locations in or near Activity Centers
- Locations with multiple transit routes
also provide feedback about the bus stop improvement program, make a request,
and report any issue related to a bus stop, bus stop bench, or bus shelter within
the City of Alexandria via Call.Click.Connect.