City of Alexandria, VA
Awards and Accomplishments
The Office of Environmental Quality acts as program manager for many of the City's environmental initiatives. Through the collaborative efforts across City departments, the Environmental Policy Commission, and its residents; the City has accomplished many environmental objectives and received numerous awards which recognize these efforts. Some of these awards and accomplishments are listed below.
- City of Alexandria’s Top Ten Environmental Accomplishments for 2010
Achievements include implementing enhanced recycling program, making progress towards reducing fine particulate emissions from the Mirant power plant, achieving LEED certification for several new City green buildings, completing the Strawberry Run stream restoration and several renewable energy and green projects completed at Alexandria City Public Schools.
The top ten environmental accomplishments are consistent with the Environmental Action Plan 2030 (EAP 2030) adopted by City Council in 2009, and represent progress made by the City toward becoming a true Eco-City. Read the Full Report.
- New Eco-City Map Series!
As part of the exciting new Standard Maps offering provided by Planning & Zoning, GIS Division in coordination with T&ES, Office of Environmental Quality; the Eco-City Map Series is currently a collection of four Print-Ready Maps available for free download. The maps provide features and information related to the Eco-City Alexandria initiative and the goals and principles embodied in the Environmental Action Plan 2030.
- As of October 2010, Alexandria has one of the highest participation rates in Dominion Green Power program. For more information on how to purchase Green Power visit Dominion VA Green Power.
- City of Alexandria Receives Climate Protection Award from ICLEI: The City of Alexandria was honored by ICLEI--Local Governments for Sustainability with a milestone award for completing a GHG Emissions Inventory and Setting Sustainability Improvement Goals as a part of the Eco-City Alexandria initative. ICLEI USA works in partnership with the City of Alexandria to track its continued progress towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions, increasing energy efficiency and clean energy use, developing the local green economy, and improving local quality of life. Learn more about the City's climate change initatives....
- City of Alexandria Certified Green Government, Receives Platinum Level for 2010
For the third straight year the City of Alexandria has been named a Certified Green Government by the Virginia Municipal League (VML). The City earned Platinum level certification, the highest level, in VML’s Green Government Challenge. The City received maximum points for innovative adoption of the first-of-its-kin Eco-City Environmental Charter and Environmental Action Plan 2030 under the Eco-City Alexandria initiative. The City was also recoginezed for its progressive Green Building Policy for multi-family and commercial buildings, and the Urban Forestry Master Plan.
- Virginia State Corporate Commission announced the kickoff of the state's new consumer education program: Virginia Energy Sense. The new website features step-by-step how-to videos, money-saving tips, and a tool that allows users to compare their energy consumption with that of friends and neighbors.
- LED Streetlight Pilot Project Coming Soon
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services has partnered with Dominion VA Power to retrofit 34 streetlights with light-emitting diode, also known as LED technology in the Braddock Metro Station area. Learn more...
- EPA's New Lead Rule Goes into Effect April, 2010: Under the rule, contractors performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in homes, child care facilities, and schools built before 1978 must be certified and must follow specific work practices to prevent lead contamination. Learn more....
- Home Energy Audit Workshop - Watch the Video Now!
On December 5, 2009, the City of Alexandria's Department of Transportation & Environmental Services, Office of Environmental Quality partnered with the Virginia Sustainable Building Network (VSBN) to host a workshop entitled "A Consumer Guide to Home Energy Audits". If you were unable to attend the workshop, view a video of the workshop and learn about the essential elements of a home energy audit, do-it-yourself tips for saving energy, and federal/state energy efficiency tax credit programs!
- Eco-City Alexandria Action Plan 2030
The Alexandria City Council unanimously approved the Eco-City Alexandrian Action Plan 2030 at the legislative meeting held Tuesday, June 23. For more information about Eco-City Alexandria visit: www.alexandriava.gov/Eco-City or contact the Office of Environmental Quality at 703.746.4065.