Please direct all inquiries to 311 or 703746.4311 | M-F, 8AM-5PM
Alexandria Honors Paramedic Joshua A. Weissman
With great sadness, Alexandria Fire Chief Adam K. Thiel announced the death of Paramedic Joshua Weissman at 4:25pm on February 9, 2012. While responding to a car fire on Interstate 395 near Glebe Road on the evening of February 8, Paramedic Weissman fell from the roadway, where he suffered a severe head injury. He was rescued by City of Alexandria and Arlington County Firefighters and Paramedics, with assistance from the City of Alexandria and Arlington County Police Departments and the Virginia State Police. Despite valiant efforts by the medical team at the Washington Hospital Center, Paramedic Weissman's injuries proved to be fatal.
A Visitation Service was held on Wednesday, February 15, 2012, at Everly-Wheatley Funeral Home in Alexandria.
A Funeral Services with Honors was held on Thursday, February 16, 2012, at Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria. First responders from across the nation convened in Alexandria to honor Joshua Weissman's sacrifice, and his funeral was attended by more than 1,000 people.
Interment followed at Ivy Hill Cemetery in Alexandria.
Impact on the Community
Mutual Aid - All command staff and units for the Alexandria Fire Department went out of service from 7 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15, until 7 p.m. on Friday, February 17. During this time, all Alexandria Fire Stations are fully staffed by regional partners at no cost as part of mutual aid agreements. When calls for service are made, they are answered by first responders from neighboring jurisdictions with their own trucks and staff, who provide the same high quality service that is given from our own Alexandria Fire Department.
Donations & Condolences
At the request of the Weissman family, in lieu of flowers, donations and condolences may be sent to:
Joshua A. Weissman Memorial Fund
c/o Alexandria Firefighters, Inc - IAFF Local 2141
4600 Duke Street, Suite 429, Alexandria, VA 22304
Fire Department Family
The Alexandria Fire Department appreciates the support of our extended family of Fire Department colleagues locally, regionally, and nationally.
City Press Releases
- Press Conference Concerning Details of Funeral Services for Line of Duty Death of Alexandria Fire Department Joshua A. Weissman (2/13/12)
- Funeral Arrangements for the Line of Duty Death of Alexandria Paramedic Joshua A. Weissman (2/11/12)
- Public Donation Information Concerning the Line of Duty Death of Alexandria Paramedic Joshua Weissman (2/10/12)
- Press Conference: Update on Alexandria Fire Department Paramedic Injured During I-395 Emergency Response (2/9/12)
- Alexandria Fire Department Paramedic Succumbs to Injuries Sustained During February 8 Emergency Response (2/9/12)
Other News Coverage
- Alexandria paramedic remembered as humble, dedicated (InsideNova.com - 2/17/12)
- Alexandria Says Good-bye To Fallen Hero (AlexandriaNews.org - 2/16/12)
- Mourners gather for funeral of Alexandria paramedic (Washington Post - 2/16/12)
- Alexandria Paramedic Remembered for Perpetual Optimism and Wry Humor (Alexandria Gazette - 2/16/12)
- City Mourns Fallen Paramedic (Alexandria Times - 2/16/12)
- WUSA9 Funeral Service Video Coverage (WUSA9 - 2/16/12)
- Joshua Weissman funeral service (photos) (WJLA - 2/16/12)
- Alexandria Fire Department honors paramedic Joshua Weissman (WJLA - 2/15/12)
- Joshua Weissman's Obituary (Washington Post - 2/12/12)