In the winter of 2015, the City reconstituted its Motorcoach Task Force (click here to view City Council resolution to rebuild the Task Force). This City-Manager appointed body will be responsible for providing guidance on the location of motorcoach loading/unloading and short term parking spaces. The Task Force will review its charter, mission, schedule, and provide guidance on potential loading/unloading locations and evaluation criteria.
The group is projected to meet on five occasions. During the fourth meeting on September 15, the Task Force reviewed and recommended motorcoach management policies for inclusion in its report to the Director of Transportation and Environmental Services. At the Task Force's fifth meeting, the Task Force will review and provide input on potential loading and unloading locations within the City.
- Meeting #1 - March 10, 2016 from 7-9 pm at the Charles Houston Rec Center, 901 Wythe Street.
- Meeting #2 - May 31, 2016 from 7-9 pm at City Hall in the Chet & Sabra Avery Conference Room 2000.
- Meeting #3 - July 11, 2016 from 7-9 pm. at City Hall in the City Council Workroom.
- Meeting #4 - September 15, 2016 from 6-9 pm at City Hall in the Chet & Sabra Avery Conference Room 2000.
- Meeting #5 - TBD
Click here to review the draft evaluation criteria. These criteria were shaped by Task Force's recommendations and discussion during Meeting #1. Click here to review the list of candidate study locations. Please note: inclusion on this list does not imply that the City will pursue a location for potential motorcoach parking and/or loading/unloading.
Working collaboratively with multiple stakeholders, the Task Force will develop a proactive approach to motorcoach management that recognizes the economic value of the industry and balances its operational needs with measures to limit intrusive effects on Alexandria’s neighborhoods, historic resources, the environment, quality of life, traffic and parking. The Task Force will review motorcoach locations and provide the Department of Transportation and Environmental Services and City Council with guidance on preferred loading and short-term parking locations.
Motorcoach Task Force Membership Structure
Industry Representatives (4 members)
- Motorcoach/Tourism Boating Industry Representatives (2)
- Local Hotel Industry Representative (1)
- Alexandria Old Town Small Business Community Representative (1)
Civic & Resident Representatives (5 members)
- At-Large Citizen Representative (1)
- Old Town Civic Association Representatives (2)
- Founders Park Community Association Representative (1)
- North Old Town Independent Citizens Representative (1)
Board & Commission Representatives (4 members)
- Alexandria Waterfront Commission Representative (1)
- Traffic and Parking Board Representative (1)
- Transportation Commission Representative (1)
- Historic Alexandria Resources Commission Representative (1)
2016 Task Force Meeting Materials
- September 15, 2016 - City Hall, Chet & Sabra Avery Conference Room 2000, from 6-9 pm
- July 11, 2016 - City Hall, City Council Workroom from 7-9 pm
- May 31, 2016 - City Hall, Chet & Sabra Avery Conference Room 2000, from 7-9 pm
- March 10, 2016 - Charles Houston Recreation Center from 7-9 pm
Former Task Force Efforts
- March 16, 2010
Meeting Materials 2009
- November 2, 2009
- October 5, 2009
- April 22, 2009
- February 9, 2009
- February 5, 2009
- January 26, 2009 -- Community Meeting at Lyles-Crouch Elementary
- January 14, 2009 -- Old Town Civic Association meeting (not a regular meeting of the Task Force)
- January 12, 2009
- DRAFT Recommendations
- Task Force member comments (provided prior to meeting)
- Comments submitted by Alexandria Old & Historic District Residents Group
- Comments submitted by Old Town Civic Association
- Comments submitted by North Old Town Independent Citizens
- Comments submitted by Alexandria Hotel Association
- Comments submitted by Alexandria Convention & Visitors Association
Meeting Materials 2008
- December 8, 2008
- November 25, 2008 (City Council Legislative Meeting)
- Update to City Council (this is a large file, 4.7MB)
- November 10, 2008
- October 27, 2008
- September 22, 2008
- September 8, 2008
- August 11, 2008
- July 28, 2008
- July 14, 2008
- June 23, 2008
- June 9, 2008
- May 19, 2008
- ACVA Motorcoach Task Force Study (November 2005)
- DC Tour Bus Management Initiative
- 2003 Alexandria Visitors Center Report (as presented to City Council)
For more information, please contact:
Transportation & Environmental Services