On April 17, 2021, the City Council approved an ordinance to restructure the City's taxi code. These changes will go into effect on July 1, 2021. The ordinance will:
- Reduce many requirements of taxi drivers and taxi companies
- Require taxi companies to obtain background investigations of their drivers from a third party service
- Require taxis to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance coverage
In March, 2021 the City Manager approved new taxi regulations that reduced many fees for taxi drivers and taxi companies. The new regulations follow the recommendation of the 2020 biennial review of the taxi industry, which called for reductions in fees charged to the taxi industry.
- Taxicab Rates
- Taxicab City codes
- Submit a Complaint
- Application to Transfer Taxicab Vehicle
- Taxicab Regulations, Effective March 2021
Reports and biennial taxi reviews
Every two years, as required by City code, Staff conduct a review of the taxi industry, including the adequacy of service and the economic conditions for taxi companies and drivers.
The introduction of rideshare services has impacted the taxi industry in Alexandria. This analysis examines how the City could regulate taxis more efficiently, in order to reduce the costs it imposes on taxi companies and drivers, and to increase regulatory parity with rideshare services.
- King Cab: 703.549.3530
- Union Cab: 703.683.1200
- VIP Cab: 703.333.5800
- White Top Cab: 703.683.4004
- Yellow Cab: 703.549.2500