Multiple project specific inspection programs are available to assist customers: Traditional, Third-party and Special-inspections.
- Minimum Required Inspections (per USBC)
- Scheduling Inspections
- Procedures for a Successful Inspection
- Obtaining Inspection Results
- Third-Party Inspection Program
- Special Inspection Program
- Electronic permit applications and permits - Sign, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing permit applications are available now that go directly to our permit system - more coming soon!
- Check the status of a permit (application and inspections) - Please have either the project address or permit number available to view an permit plan review status or an issued permit's inspection history.
- Code Administration's Daily Inspection Viewer is now available for customers to view daily scheduled inspections
- Send an email to the Permit Center staff regarding tall grass and weeds, improper appliance disposal, improper trash/debris removal, building maintenance concerns, rodents, hoarding, other property maintenance, or illegal construction issues.
- Have a question or concern regarding any New Construction related inspection? Contact Building Manager Mike Christesen at: Mike.Christesen@alexandriava.gov
- Staff Directory
- Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Minimum Required Inspections (per USBC):
- Inspection of footing excavations and reinforcement material (steel reinforcement) for concrete footings prior to placement of concrete
- Inspection of foundation systems during phases of construction necessary to assure compliance with the Virginia USBC
- Inspection of preparatory work prior to placement of concrete
- Inspection of structural members and fasteners prior to concealment
- Inspection of electrical, mechanical (HVAC) and plumbing materials, equipment and systems prior to concealment
- Inspection of energy conservation materials (insulation) prior to concealment
- Final inspection (once all work is complete)
- The permit holder/property owner is responsible for requesting all required inspections
- Each issued permit must receive an approved final inspection
- Third-party inspections are not permitted, unless approved by the building official prior to permit issuance
- Photographs taken prior to concealing the work will not be an accepted alternative to the above required inspections
The Department of Code Administration offers an automated system known as "ACCESS". "ACCESS" allows permit holders to use a touch tone phone to schedule or cancel inspections, request inspection results, speak to a Permit Technician or other city agencies or listen to recorded customer service messages. "ACCESS" is available seven days a week, 24 hours a day. To use the system, call 703.746.4200 or 703.838.4900 (direct). Note - to use ACCESS, you will need a touch-tone phone. If ACCESS is unavailable, please call 703.746.4200 for assistance during business hours.
Advisory: To schedule a Fire Protection System (FPS) inspection, please go HERE
Note: ACCESS now has the following features!
- Inspection results sent to your phone;
- Inspection results by fax; and
- Inspection results by email
To obtain your complete, most recent inspection results by one of the above methods, follow the prompts provided on the ACCESS system when you schedule the inspection.
When calling ACCESS, make sure that you have the permit number relating to the permit that you want inspected. You will be instructed to select one of the four options:
Press  Schedule inspections
Press  Cancel or reschedule and inspection
Press  Obtain inspection results
Press  Speak to Code Administration Permit Technician or other city agencies representatives
Press [#] Listen to customer service recordings on:
- Scheduling and/or
- Permit Application Requirements
- Plans Submission Requirements
- When is a Permit required?
- Contractor Licensing Information
1. Verify your scheduled inspection
3. Provide the required minimum inspection documents at the project location:
- Approved plans
- Posted construction address
- Posted permits
- Use Daily Inspection Viewer to view completed inspection results
- Call the ACCESS automated system, 703.838.4900, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If ACCESS is unavailable, please call 703.746.4200 for assistance during business hours. Note - to use ACCESS you will need is a touch-tone phone and the project permit number.
Third-party inspections are those minimum inspections required by the USBC, Refer to Minimum Required Inspections (per USBC), but as an alternative to city inspectors conducted by an approved third-party inspector(s) acting as the building official's agent. Qualified third-party agent(s) must submit sufficient documentation, prior to permit issuance, demonstrating each inspector's competence and qualifications in each intended construction discipline. The building official reviews and approves agents on a discretionary basis.
Special Inspections are inspections required by the 2006 IBC, sec. 1704 "Special Inspections". These inspections require special competence, qualifications and expertise in a specific construction discipline (examples: steel welded connections, post-tensioned concrete, approved proprietary systems). Prior to permit issuance, Qualified special inspector(s) must submit sufficient documentation (Statement of Special Inspections and Inspector(s) qualification resume(s), demonstrating each inspector's competence and qualifications in each intended construction or operation discipline. The building official reviews and approves agents on a discretionary basis.