Hardy Sentenced for Multiple Robberies

Page archived as of March 2, 2018

Hardy Sentenced for Multiple Robberies

For Immediate Release: February 9, 2018

On February 7, 2018, Matthew Alex Hardy, a 28-year old resident of Fairfax County, was sentenced to serve 33 years in the penitentiary with 19 years of that sentence suspended, meaning that Hardy must serve 14 years of active incarceration. Hardy previously pleaded guilty to a four-count indictment on November 16, 2017, charging: Robbery-Felony, Use of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony-Felony, Grand Larceny from Person-Felony, and Brandishing a Firearm-Misdemeanor.

The terms of Hardy’s sentence also require that he remain of good behavior for a period of 20 years upon his release from the penitentiary, comply with supervised probation for the period of 10 years upon his release, have no contact with the robbery victims and pay restitution.

The evidence in this case showed that on November 12, 2016, and again on November 19, 2016, Hardy entered a Subway Sandwich store on Eisenhower Avenue in the City of Alexandria, pointed a silver handgun at the employees, and forced them to give him money from the cash register.

The case was investigated by the Alexandria Police Department and Hardy was identified as a suspect after having committed a series of similar robberies throughout the region. Hardy is presently serving a five-year penitentiary sentence in Maryland for robbery and was extradited to Alexandria on these charges. Hardy has also pleaded guilty to Robbery in Arlington County and was sentenced to serve an additional 5 years in the penitentiary, consecutive to the Alexandria sentence, for a total of 19 years of active incarceration in the Virginia Department of Corrections.

The Alexandria police investigation was led by Detective Michael Whelan. The case was prosecuted by Senior Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney David A. Lord.

Hardy has remained in custody since his arrest. He is currently incarcerated in the William G. Truesdale Alexandria Adult Detention Center pending his return to the state of Maryland. He will complete his prison sentence there before serving his penitentiary sentence in Virginia.