City Seeks Community Input on Final Budget Proposals
The City seeks community input on proposals by members of City Council for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 Budget. In February, the City Manager proposed his FY 2020 Budget to City Council. Since then, City Council has held eight budget work sessions for detailed discussions on the proposed budget. The budget process allows for members of Council to propose additions and subtractions from the proposed budget before approval (also referred to as “Add/Delete”). This is the final opportunity for the public to provide input on the budget before the City Council adopts it on May 1. Comments may be submitted online through April 28.
Celebrate Earth Day in Alexandria
The 26th Annual Alexandria Earth Day and Arbor Day celebration is on Saturday, April 27, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Lenny Harris Memorial Fields at Braddock Park. This free, family-friendly event includes the ninth annual Upcycling Showcase, where students from Alexandria City Public Schools will present unique fashion items and other upcycling creations based on the event theme, “Climate Change – Take Action.”
City Continues Efforts to Plan for Metro Summer Platform Work
Alexandria continues preparations for Metro's Platform Improvement Project, which will close all Metrorail stations south of the Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport Station for critical station platform restoration from May 25 through September 8. Preparations include finalization of a Mitigation Plan, traffic engineering improvements and changes to HOV restrictions on Washington Street.
Alexandria Joins Supreme Court Brief Supporting Fair 2020 Census
The City is one of 190 cities, counties, and state and local officials around the country represented in a brief filed with the U.S. Supreme Court to challenge the addition of a citizenship question on the 2020 U.S. Census. The brief, filed April 1 in support of plaintiffs in the case of Department of Commerce v. New York, argues that the addition of a citizenship question will significantly impair the accuracy of the count, which determines the allocation of more than $900 billion of federal funding.
City Partners with Region to Improve Recyclability of Glass
The City of Alexandria, Fairfax County, Arlington County, and Prince William County have announced a new strategic partnership to improve glass recovery and recycling. These jurisdictions have committed to collecting glass via purple glass-only drop-off containers. The glass will then be transported to a Fairfax County processing plant, where it will be recycled into a variety of products.
- City Names New Poet Laureate
- City Launches Online Business Tax Services
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month Events
- Building Safety Month Kick-Off Event April 26
- City Celebrates “First of the First Responders”
- Nominate Someone for a Champions of Children Award
- Community Members Encouraged to Prevent and Recognize Child Abuse
- Sixth Annual Alexandria Jazz for Justice Benefit Concert
- More News...
A Sure Sign of Spring
A welcome sign of spring for Alexandria’s residents and visitors alike is the activation of the City Hall Market Square fountain. The open landscape plaza and fountain were constructed in 1967 as part of the Gadsby Commercial Urban Renewal project. The popular landmark is a welcoming enhancement to Market Square and to City Hall, which has a rich history dating back to 1871. To learn more, visit alexandriava.gov/CityHall.
- April 19 - D.M.V. Connect at City Hall
- April 20 - Carlyle Fitness Series - Bootcamp
- April 22 - Community Days Cookout
- April 23 - City Council Legislative Meeting
- April 24 - Denim Day
- April 24 - Community Days Cookout
- April 25 - Eisenhower East SAP Update Community Open House
- April 26 - In-Person Absentee Voting Begins
- April 26 - Poetry Slam
- April 26 - Yet I Stand: A Play
- April 27 - 2019 Project Discovery Walkathon
- April 27 - Alexandria Earth Day
- April 27 - African American History of Alexandria Bus Tour
- April 27 - Becoming American: Immigration and Work
- April 27 - Drug Take Back at Station 210
- April 27 - Drug Take Back in Del Ray
- April 27 - Drug Take Back at First Baptist Church
- April 27 - Drug Take Back at APD HQ
- April 27 - Carlyle Fitness Series - Bootcamp
- April 27 - Resiliency Yoga
- April 28 - Annual Spring Invitational Cheer Competition
- April 29 - Budget Work Session #10
- April 30 - Prevention of Child Sex Abuse
- May 1 - City Council Special Meeting: FY 2020 Budget Adoption
- May 2 - Days of Remembrance Ceremony
- More Events...