Learn about the planning process for the FY 2017-2022 Strategic Plan and how you can get involved.
Imagine the year 2022 in Alexandria. Imagine how you work, how you play, how you experience your community. How do you get around? Where do you spend your time? What has changed? What has stayed the same? The City of Alexandria needs your help to create our next strategic plan.
The FY 2017-2022 City Strategic Plan is an opportunity for City Council to work with members of the community to establish the City’s strategic direction and priorities for the coming years. Throughout this planning process, the community will have several opportunities to participate and provide feedback in-person and online. Staff has developed a Civic Engagement Schedule and Civic Engagement Framework, which follows the goals and strategies outlined in the What's Next Alexandria Civic Engagement Handbook.
Previous Meeting Materials and Information
- July - August, 2016: Online prioritization activity
Community members were invited to prioritize goals specific to each draft theme developed earlier in the process by selecting indicators most important for the City to focus on in the next 6 years. Performance indicators will be included in the draft Plan and will help the City track its progress toward its strategic goals. These indicators will be monitored for the life of the plan, and will help inform City government work and budget priorities.
Note: The indicators were developed through a series of eight work sessions with City departments and were oriented around each draft City Strategic Plan theme. Where possible, staff selected indicators from existing City plans (e.g. Eco-City Alexandria) and/or emulated national and regional best-practices. As part of the selection process, all indicators were expected to be measurable, able to be influenced by City work, and relevant to all of Alexandria (rather than a particular region or neighborhood alone).
- July 19 - 27, 2016 - Series of in-person open houses were held throughout the city to answer questions related to prioritization activity described above.
- June 30, 2016
- Monday, July 18, 2016 - Community Meeting
Samuel Tucker Elementary School Cafeteria, 435 Ferdinand Day Drive
- April-May, 2016: AlexEngage
On Saturday, April 9, a public meeting was held to develop draft statements for each of the Strategic Plan themes based on feedback provided by the community at previous meetings and online. From April 15 - May 9, the community was invited to provide additional input on the draft statements by visiting AlexEngage.
- Saturday, April 9, 2016 - Refining Vision & Goals
George Washington Middle School, 1005 Mt. Vernon Avenue
- AlexEngage, March 2016
In March, community members participated in a 3-week online engagement opportunity to share what matters most to them about the city. Input received will inform the FY 2017-2022 City Strategic Plan and help shape the future of Alexandria.
- Monday, March 14, 2016 - Visioning Meeting
TC Williams High School Cafeteria, 3330 King Street
In the fall of 2015, City Council approved the general outline for a proposed spring 2016 process to draft an updated City Strategic Plan. The current Alexandria City Strategic Plan was intended to be in effect until 2015. The new Plan will use community input as the foundation to define the results of community values; communicate a clear direction to the public and City Government; include measures and targets to more easily track progress, share success, and identify and solve problems; set a six-year plan from FY 2017-2022 with a mid-point check-in/refinement in FY 2019; and align with the City’s performance management system, Results Alexandria. The draft City Strategic Plan will be considered for adoption by City Council in the fall of 2016.
- Memo to Council on City Strategic Plan Update Process, September 2015
- Presentation to Council: City Strategic Planning Options for Consideration, September 2015
- Memo updating Council on proposed process for the FY2017-2022 City Strategic Plan, February 2016
- Presentation to Council, February 23, 2016
Key Project Documents and Reference Materials
Previous 2004-2015 Strategic Planning Process
The links below provide meeting and materials information for the 2004-2015 Strategic Planning process:
- Goal 1: Alexandria has quality development and redevelopment, support for local businesses and a strong, diverse and growing local economy.
- Goal 2: Alexandria respects, protects and enhances the health of its citizens and the quality of its natural environment.
- Goal 3: A multimodal transportation network that supports sustainable land use and provides internal mobility and regional connectivity for Alexandrians.
- Goal 4: Alexandria is a community that supports and enhances the well-being, success and achievement of children, youth and families.
- Goal 5: Alexandria is financially sustainable, efficient, community oriented and values its employees.
- Goal 6: The City protects the safety and security of its residents, businesses, employees and visitors.
- Goal 7: Alexandria is a caring and inclusive community that values its rich diversity, history and culture, and promotes affordability.
Contact Radhika Mohan, Planning and Zoning, firstname.lastname@example.org or 703.746.3850.