Political parties usually nominate candidates in a primary election or a citywide caucus. Independents may also run.
Qualifications to be a candidate are:
- Qualified to vote for and hold the office for which one offers.
- A resident of the Commonwealth for one year immediately preceding the election.
- A resident, by the time of filing, of the city in which one offers for election.
Candidates may access Candidate Information Bulletins from the State Board of Elections. These bulletins provide:
- Filing forms and deadlines
- Legal requirements and penalties for failure to comply
- Information on other required forms
- Answers to frequently asked questions about elections and candidates
Questions may be directed to the State Board of Elections at 1-800-552-9745.