Overdose Treatment in Alexandria
Call 911 immediately—do not wait! Help will come immediately. First responders want to save lives and help people recover.
Substance Use Disorder Treatment & Recovery Services in Alexandria
If you or someone you care about needs help with addiction or mental health concerns, call the Department of Community and Human Services anytime at 703.746.3400. DCHS and the Alexandria Community Services Board offer a range of programs and services for those seeking treatment for and recovery from a substance use disorder, including:
The Opioid Treatment Program (OTP) helps adults to stop using heroin and/or other opioids that may include legal medications that are used illegally. The OTP offers evidence-based therapy services in combination with physician prescribed and monitored Methadone or Buprenorphine (Suboxone). These medications do not produce a "high" and minimize the symptoms of withdrawal. Clients participate in regular counseling sessions and are required to abstain from illegal drugs and alcohol while in the program. Call 703.746.3610.
The Alexandria Residential Treatment Center (ARTC) serves people who can’t stop using alcohol or other substances without a structured clinical residential environment in which to get stable and engage in ongoing treatment. It is staffed by Registered Nurses, Licensed Clinical Social Workers and Counselors and Residential Support Counselors. Medical consultation is provided by the Opioid Treatment Program Medical Supervisor. The program operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The center also works with individuals with a co-occurring mental health concern. Call 703.746.3636 (24/7).
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Residential Services provides permanent or transitional living arrangements, support, supervision and training for persons with severe mental illness and/or co-occurring substance use disorders in a home-like environment that promotes personal growth, respect, recovery and hope. Call 703.746.3400.
A range of outpatient services for residents 18 and over who are seeking assistance with a substance use disorder. Call 703.746.3400.
Other Treatment Resources
- Community Residents Incorporated CARE Program, Hulvey Terrace (703.746.8335)
- Crossroads Adult Residential Services, South Van Dorn Street (703.313.6344)
- South County Youth Services, Richmond Highway (703.704.6707)
- Ethos Foundation, South Washington Street (703.535.6800)
- Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center, Little River Turnpike (703.642.9270)
- INOVA Behavioral Health Outpatient Services, Richmond Highway (703.660.8100)
- INOVA Mount Vernon Behavioral Health Department, Parkers Lane (703.664.7052)
- Alcoholics Anonymous and Al-Anon
- NarcoticsAnonymous or Nar-Anon
- Secular Organizations for Sobriety
- Dual Recovery Anonymous
- SMART Recovery
- Rational Recovery
for Drug-Free Kids
For Resources Outside Alexandria