Programs are available to help individuals go to medical appointments, the grocery store and other destinations. Limited group transportation is also available.
AGENCY ON AGING CHARTER SERVICES- Special Transportation Unit (STU), Operates a small fleet of buses and vans. STU vehicles include: three wheelchair accessible buses for 28 passengers (24/2 with wheelchair occupants); one twelve passenger van; and one lift-equipped minivan that can one wheelchair and three passengers. STU vehicles are available for charter when they are not in normal use for Division of Aging and Adult Services programs. Priority in scheduling is given to senior citizen groups in the community. For special charter vehicle rates and to arrange a trip, contact Sadina Vanison, the STU Supervisor, at 703.746.3275. Charters require a minimum one month advance notice.
DOT is the City of Alexandria's specialized transportation service for residents of Alexandria and visitors who cannot use regular transit buses or rail due to their disability. For more information, contact the Paratransit Coordinator at 703.746.4079 weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., or
Group Grocery Shopping Trips are offered through the Division of Aging and Adult Services on specially scheduled routes for individuals age 60 or over. Riders are limited to two grocery bags. Click here for shopping trip schedules. For questions, please contact Sadina Vanison at 703.746.3275 .
Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program- Program is available to Alexandria residents age 60 and older who have a yearly household income of $48,508 or less. The Senior Taxi Yellow Card program allows eligible riders to schedule taxi rides directly with Yellow Cab 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with no restrictions as to destinations. Interested individuals must apply to the program to determine eligibility and then purchase fares in advance at a discounted cost. For more information, call the Division of Aging and Adult Services at 703.746.5999. You can find the Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program flyer, the application form and the discount fares purchase form by clicking on the links below:
- Senior Taxi Yellow Card Program Flyer
- Senior Taxi Yellow Card Application
- Senior Taxi Yellow Card Discount Fares Purchase Application
- American Cancer Society offers free transportation for patients receiving treatment. Call 1.888.227.6333
- DASH Bus Service
- Medicaid/FAMIS (Logisticare Transportation Service) - Free round-trip transportation for Medicaid and FAMIS clients. Call 1.866.386.8331 and choose option 7. For dialysis transportation services, call 1.866.836.1570.
- MetroAccess is a shared ride, door to door transportation service for persons with disabilities.