Medicare is a health insurance program for people 65 years or older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and any age with end stage renal disease or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) is a free program offering unbiased, individualized telephone or web-based counseling to help with a wide range of insurance related issues. The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) for residents of the City of Alexandria is based in the Department of Community and Human Services, Division of Aging and Adult Services.
VICAP is part of a nationwide network of health insurance assistance programs that provides free, unbiased, individual insurance counseling to Medicare beneficiaries, their families and caregivers.
- Individual counseling on Medicare Parts A, B, C (health plans), Medicare Part D (prescription plans), and Medigap plans
- Presentations on Medicare for people new to Medicare or soon to be eligible
- Questions about coverage, enrollment or changing plans
- Help resolving Medicare claims or billing issues
- Help filing for Medicare-related benefits
Assistance with understanding:
- Long-term care insurance
- Eligibility and applications for low-income assistance programs
Contact the City of
Alexandria VICAP Program
By email: VICAP@alexandriava.gov
By telephone: 703.746.5999
By mail: VICAP, Division of Aging and Adult Services, 6101 Stevenson Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22304
By fax: 571.454.7001