Substance Abuse Outpatient Services
- Serves City of Alexandria residents age 18 and older
- Priority given to pregnant and post-partum women, those living with HIV/AIDS, and intravenous drug users
- Group, individual, and family counseling and education
- Medication-assisted Opioid Treatment for persons addicted to certain narcotics
- Concurrent treatment of mental health issues
- Psychiatric care
- Tobacco dependency treatment
- Residential Substance Abuse Residential Treatment support 24 hours a day for people who are intoxicated or in withdrawal from drugs or alcohol and do not require hospital care
- Short-term residential Substance Abuse Residential Treatment Phase II Program to support engagement in outpatient treatment prior to returning to the community
- Family and public education groups
- Transitional housing for those desiring a more structured environment in early recovery
- Case management to help access and coordinate community services such as pre-natal or health care or qualifying for benefits
- Women-only and co-ed treatment and services and referrals for children’s services
- Spanish-language groups and individual counseling
- Confidential testing for HIV, tuberculosis and hepatitis
- Interim services while waiting for primary treatment including case management, HIV testing, and wellness counseling
A variety of programs are available to tailor treatment to individual needs and preferences. Individual counseling is provided as an adjunct to the treatment groups below, which are organized by the person’s stage of change in relation to alcohol and drugs. This list also provides a roadmap for recovery.
~Looking at Alcohol and Drugs in My Life
These groups are for individuals who are not sure if they want to change their relationships to alcohol and drugs. Some may have been sent to treatment or may be considering on their own whether to reduce or eliminate substance use.
Considering and Maintaining Change
Participants explore their relationship to alcohol and/or drugs to make decisions about what changes they want to make. Participants learn about the process of change and how to move through the process successfully. They learn some basic skills to prevent falling back into old habits.
Si usted no esta seguro de cambiar su relacion con el alcohol y/o drogas. Si viene porque el juzgado lo envio, o tiene problemas legales relacionados con el alcohol/drogas. O ha decidido pedir ayuda por se mismo. . . este grupo puede ser para usted:
Educacion y Motivacion para la Superacion Personal
Usted alcanzará un mejor entendendimiento y mejor conocimiento de los riesgos del alcohol/drogas. Podrá identificar los signos/simtomas de abuso y dependencia de alcohol/drogas, los effectos fisiologicos, psycologicos, sociales y en el nivel personal y familiar. Participará en una discussion abierta de los problemas familiares, financieros, y otros relacionados con alcohol/drogas.
~Ending My Relationship with Alcohol and Drugs
The Programs below are for those who have decided to take back their lives from alcohol and other drugs, regardless of how they arrived in treatment.
Living in Balance
For those who recognize that their alcohol and/or drug use is problematic, even though they still have control of significant areas of their lives; and are seriously considering making a change to keep alcohol and drugs out of their lives.
For those who have decided to make a change to keep alcohol and other drugs out of their lives. There are a women's and co-ed tracks, morning or evening. Clients participate in a comprehensive 16 to 24-week program including the following groups:
· Early Recovery
· Relapse Prevention
· Understanding Recovery
· Social Support
Participe en este grupos si usted sabe que quiere cambiar su relación con Alcohol y Drogas sin reparar en quien le mandaba al tratamiento:
Preparando el camino
En este grupo los participantes, quienes se sienten inseguros acerca de continuar usando alcohol o drogas, confrontaran su resistencia al cambio. La tarea principal se centra en hacer una evaluación honesta de la conducta hacia estas sustancias.
Siguiendo el camino
Este grupo es para personas que estan ya alejadas de alcohol y drogas, pero necesitan reforzar su decision. Los temas de discusion se enfocan en alternativas para el crecimiento personal, las posibilidades de exito y los medios para lograr mas satisfaccion en las acciones del diario vivir.
Eligiendo un camino
Los participantes de este grupo tienen un problema serio con alcohol o drogas, y estan en peligro de una recaida. En las sesiones se analiza el significado personal del uso del alcohol o drogas, las situaciones de peligro y la resistencia a cambiar de vida. Tambien se aprenden pasos para evitar una recaida y obtener las sobriedad.
~Embracing Life After Alcohol and Drugs
These groups are for those who are well on their way to taking back their lives from alcohol and other drugs.
Skills To Enhance Personal Success (STEPS)
Learn to “live life on life’s terms” and avoid relapse. Learn how to cope with life problems without drugs. Participants will develop the important life skills of self-awareness, tolerating distress, managing emotions and improving relationships.
Compassionate Practices in Recovery
For those who want to integrate recovery into a satisfying, meaningful life. You will participate in practices of empathy, self-empathy, communication, and identification of personal needs to be met and in living "life on life's terms."
~Anywhere on the Journey
These groups are for anyone, no matter where they are in their relationship with alcohol and other drugs.
A drop-in group for people in any stage of recovery from life problems. Share knowledge and skills related to change, recovery, and relapse prevention and learn from and affirm the knowledge and skills of others.
For family members and concerned others who want to understand the disease of addiction and the recovery process. Participants learn how best to assist their loved ones in achieving success in recovery.
Achieving Freedom/Filling the Inner Void
Separate groups for men and women who are letting go of criminal or addictive behavior to create a life of happiness, freedom, and peace.
How to Request Substance Abuse Services
Services are available to residents of the City of Alexandria. Individuals seeking mental health or substance use disorder services will start by meeting with an Intake Clinician. Same Day Access is offered, which means it is not necessary to schedule an appointment for an intake.
Please call 703.746.3535 for more information.
Walk-in Hours for Clinical Intakes:
Walk-in intakes are available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and on Tuesdays, additional afternoon hours for intakes are available from 2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Please note that the above hours of operation are subject to change without notice and/or subject to clinician availability.
Alexandria Community Services Board
720 North St. Asaph Street Alexandria, VA 22314
703.746.3535 TTY: 703.746.3440 or Virginia Relay 711
The following documents are required at the time of intake:
- Proof of City of Alexandria residency
- Proof of income; services are based on a sliding fee scale
- Proof of household expenses
- Proof of insurance if applicable
- Proof of guardianship in cases where the designated primary client is not able to legally consent to treatment and a legal guardian has been appointed to make decisions on behalf of the client
Our services are available in a number of languages for persons who do not speak English or who would feel more comfortable receiving services in their native language.