Employment and Volunteering for Older Adults
If you are seeking employment, job training or looking for volunteer opportunities, there are many programs available to help you.
Volunteer With Us!
- Alexandria Adult Day Services Center - Provides volunteer opportunities designed for individuals who are interested in donating their time and talents to work with seniors with disabilities. Contact Kimberly Taylor, Therapeutic Recreation Manager/Volunteer Coordinator at 703.746.5676 or email Kimberly.email@example.com . (Currently closed)
- Medicare Counselors - The Division of Aging and Adult Services is seeking volunteers for its Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP). Medicare Counselors help people with Medicare Health Insurance and their caregivers understand Medicare and explore options that meet their needs. Volunteers receive extensive training on Medicare and related insurance topics. Contact Pamela Austin, Resource Coordinator at 703.746.5999 or email Pamela.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer Guardian - The Division of Aging and Adult Services is looking for individuals who can assure the well-being of an incapacitated Alexandrian living in an Assisted Living Facility or Nursing Facility. Volunteer Guardians are appointed
by the Court to make decisions for older Alexandria residents who have lost the
capacity to understand the consequences of their decisions. The volunteer will visit the resident monthly and follow the person's wishes as much as possible. Contact Pamela Austin, Resource Coordinator at 703.746.5999 or email Pamela.email@example.com.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Friendly Visitor Program - Senior Services of Alexandria is actively recruiting volunteers to participate in the Friendly Visitor Program. Through planned weekly visits, volunteers bring friendship and community connections to seniors who are often restricted by their living facilities and/or may lack the local support of friends and family. For more information please call 703.836.4414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groceries to Go - Senior Services of Alexandria needs volunteers to deliver groceries to seniors who are no longer able to shop for themselves safely. Deliveries are made once a week, and pickup is at either Giant or Harris Teeter on Duke Street. For more information, call 703.836.4414 or email
- Meals on Wheels - Volunteers are needed to deliver meals to seniors who are home-bound. You can give as few as two hours a month. Call 703.836.4414.
Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program- Volunteers are trained to serve as advocates for the needs and rights of residents of licensed nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Four hours spent visiting their assigned facility each week is required. Annual training is provided. Please call 703.324.5861.
- Volunteer Alexandria - The mission of Volunteer Alexandria is to build a better community by inspiring and mobilizing people to volunteer. Call 703.836.2176.
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) – Managed by the National Council on Aging, SCSEP is the nation's oldest program to provide training and employment opportunities to low-income Americans over age 55. For more information call 703.548.9663.
- Workforce Development Center - Provides services and resources for job seekers including access to a certified One Stop Career Center. For more information call 703.746.5990.