Employment and Volunteering for Older Adults
If you are seeking employment or job training or looking for volunteer opportunities, there are many programs available to help you.
- Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) – Managed by the National Council on Aging, SCSEP is the nation's oldest program to provide training and employment opportunities to low-income Americans over age 55. For more information call 703.548.9663.
- Employment Resource Center - Senior Employment Resources was created exclusively for seniors. Office is located in Annandale. Contact them through their website.
- Alexandria Adult Day Services Center
- Provides volunteer opportunities designed for individuals who are interested in donating their time and talents to work with seniors with disabilities. Contact Kimberly Taylor-Davis, Activities Director at 703.746.5676 or email
- Friendly Visitor Program - Senior Services of Alexandria is actively recruiting volunteers to participate in the Friendly Visitor Program. Through planned weekly visits, volunteers bring friendship and community connections to seniors who are often restricted by their living facilities and/or may lack the local support of friends and family. For more information please call 703.836.4414 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Groceries to Go - Senior Services of Alexandria needs volunteers to deliver groceries to seniors who are no longer able to shop for themselves safely. Deliveries are made once a week, and pickup is at either Giant or Harris Teeter on Duke Street. For more information, call 703.836.4414 or email
- Meals on Wheels - Volunteers are needed to deliver meals to seniors who are home-bound. You can give as few as two hours a month. Call 703.836.4414.
- Medicare Health Insurance Counseling Program - The Virginia Insurance Counseling and Assistance Program (VICAP) is looking for volunteers. VICAP counselors help people with Medicare and their caregivers understand Medicare and explore options that meet their needs. Volunteers receive extensive training on Medicare and related insurance topics. Call The Division of Aging and Adult Services at 703.746.5999 for more information.
Northern Virginia Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program- Volunteers are trained to serve as advocates for the needs and rights of residents of licensed nursing homes and assisted living facilities. Four hours spent visiting their assigned facility each week is required. Annual training is provided. Please call 703.324.5861.
- Volunteer Alexandria - The mission of Volunteer Alexandria is to build a better community by inspiring and mobilizing people to volunteer. Call 703.836.2176.