Information & Referral
Resources for finding information about services and programs available in Alexandria as well as nationwide.
- Division of Aging and Adult Services - Call 703.746.5999 to speak with an information specialist and intake worker or you may view our Directory of Resources for Older Adults and Persons with Disabilities - a comprehensive directory of services for seniors in the Alexandria area.
- 2-1-1 – Dial 211 toll free to find services in Virginia or visit www.virginia211.org to search online.
- Call.Click.Connect- information and referral to services in the City of Alexandria and a means of communicating with City officials and staff. You can also call 703.746.4357.
- Customer Call Center- information on social services and public benefits assistance; mental health, developmental disability and substance abuse services; and support initiative for women. Call 703.746.5700
Federal Administration on Aging’s ElderCare Locator- a public service of the U.S. Administration on Aging. The Eldercare Locator is your first step for finding local agencies, in every U.S. community, that can help older persons and their families access home and community-based services like transportation, meals, home care, and caregiver support services. Call 800.677.1116.
- Senior Navigator - a national model for online aging and disability resources. Call 1.866.393.0957
- Virginia Easy Access -helps find services and support for seniors, adults with disabilities, their caregivers and the providers that support them.
- The Virginia State Bar Association has a new edition of the Senior Citizen’s Handbook. The Senior Citizens Handbook is a resource for seniors, their families, and their caregivers to provide an overview of and contact information for opportunities and choices facing senior citizens today, with a summary of how specific laws affect Virginia's elder citizens and practical advice on issues such as Medicaid, Alzheimer’s Disease, landlord-tenant relations, and much more. There is also an extensive list of community-service organizations that detail the various services available to senior citizens. You can find the handbook at: http://www.vsb.org/site/publications/senior-citizens-handbook