Accessing Child Behavioral Health Assessment for Services
Guardians can walk in with their children on Tuesdays or Wednesdays between 9 and 10:30 a.m. The office is located at 720 N. St. Asaph Street, across from the Harris Teeter; please check in on the second floor. No appointment is needed. We speak English & Spanish and have access to interpreters for other languages by phone.
Providers making referrals are asked to please contact us in advance of when the family plans to walk in and to send us all relevant documentation. This is to ensure a meaningful assessment. For more information, contact us at 571.213.7963 or DCHSYouthIntake@alexandriava.gov.
The entire process will take about 2.5 - 3 hours.
First the guardian and child will meet for 35 - 45 minutes with one of our team members to:
- Receive brief orientation
- Discuss insurance and any payment that may be needed for services
- Be informed of our privacy policies
Next, they will meet with a clinician for a 90-minute assessment. At this time, they will:
- Discuss what brought them to the assessment
- Share background information to fully understand the child and family
- Receive recommendations for services
- Receive an appointment with a therapist within a week, if needed
A legal guardian must be present and bring this information:
- Medicaid card for child or other health insurance card
- Two pay stubs of income (from both parents if both live in the home with child)
- Social security card or number for parent and child, if there is one (not required to receive services)
- A bill or rental contract with name and address to show proof of residency in the City of Alexandria (children in foster care with DCHS meet residency requirement)
- Parent identification
- Any medical (mental or physical) records that may help in the assessment, if possible
If you have any questions, please contact us at 571.213.7963 or DCHSYouthIntake@alexandriava.gov. We speak English, Spanish and Amharic.