Tax Time is Here! File for Free!
Eligible Alexandria residents can prepare to file their taxes for free. Expert volunteers from Community Tax Aid, Inc. will ensure that taxpayers apply for all applicable credits and deductions, especially the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit, which people often don’t realize they are eligible to receive.
Individuals with income up to $35,000 and families with income up to $54,000, are eligible for this service.
Sessions will be held Saturdays from 9 a.m.to noon and Wednesdays from 6:30 to 8 p.m., February 3 through April 14 at 2525 Mount Vernon Avenue (Mt. Ida side door). Persons seeking tax preparation assistance will be seen on a first come, first served basis. Spanish-speaking volunteers are available and electronic filing is provided.
Free financial counseling and accessing credit reports may be available to interested persons from the Virginia Cooperative Extension.
Here are the required documents:
- Social Security card or ITIN letter for each family member
- Valid Photo ID for taxpayer (and spouse if filing jointly) and all W-2s and 1099s
- Dependents’ income documents
- If you purchased health insurance through the marketplace, bring Form 1095-
- 2017 End-of-year statements from other income sources (Social Security, bank interest, SSI, etc.)
- 2016 tax return, if available
- Record of expenses for tax credits and deductions (child care, education, savings, student loans, medical
- Bring the account and routing numbers of the account where you would like your refunds deposited
For further information, contact Esperita Bullard at 703.746.6070.
The City of Alexandria is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended. To request a reasonable accommodation or an alternative format, email email@example.com or call 571.384.5244, Virginia Relay 711. Please allow 48-hour notice.