Guaranteed Income Pilot Information Sessions
Guaranteed Income Pilot
Alexandria City Council voted on July 6, 2021 to support a Guaranteed Income Pilot (GIP) by allocating $3 million in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding. The GIP provides direct, recurring cash payments of $500 a month, with no restrictions on use, to 150 Alexandria households for two years. The payment is unconditional, with no requirements and no restrictions on how it is to be spent. The start date is to be determined.
A research team will evaluate the outcomes to inform decisions on future efforts and policies. Guaranteed income gives recipients more freedom, dignity and self-determination to make choices for their financial well-being. Research shows that when given unrestricted payments, recipients can pull themselves out of poverty and create economic stability for their families. GIPs have also been found to improve health, education and child welfare outcomes. The pilot is one way that the City of Alexandria s addressing the longstanding national and institutional problem of the racial income gap.
Eligible city residents with a household income at 30-40% of Area Median Income or who meet the Alexandria United Way’s Asset Limited and Income Constrained (ALICE) requirements while employed are eligible for the selection pool. As a reference, before the pandemic, 28% of Alexandria’s households were identified as ALICE. Community non-nonprofit organizations will reach out to the target populations and invite residents who meet the eligibility criteria apply. The research partner will randomly select 150 applicants from the application pool to receive the monthly payment.
Learn More About Alexandria’s GIP
ACT for Alexandria Community Foundation is partnering with the City in this
research pilot. Visit ACT’s
website for more information. Also, see:
Frequently Asked Questions for Nonprofit and Community Partners
Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Participants
Learn More About GIPs Across the Nation
- Guaranteed Income Pilot Projects with American Rescue Plan Act Funding, National League of Cities
- New Stimulus Proposals Look Like a Guaranteed Income Experiment. Early Results Show Whether it Will Work
- California Program Giving $500 No-Strings-Attached Stipends Pays Off
- Stockton’s Basic Income Experiment Pays Off
- Can Guaranteed Income Help Americans Escape Poverty?
- These mayors want to fight COVID-19 and the recession with one big idea: A Guaranteed Income, Vox
- The Promising Results of a Citywide Basic-Income Experiment, The New Yorker
- Give Poor People a Guaranteed Income and Let Them Spend it However They Please, Mashable
- The Time Tax